This page contains information about using Panopto to store and stream most .mp4 video files in Canvas courses. Panopto is designed to provide an optimized video streaming experience for students, no matter their device or network connection. Panopto also makes it easy for instructors to add closed captions to their videos.
Panopto Introduction (general information about Panopto)
Using Panopto + Canvas (+ Zoom)
1. Getting Started
Watch: Overview of Panopto + Canvas (29 minutes)
Read: Two Ways to Add Panopto Videos in a Canvas Course
- Option 1: Add a Panopto Video Link to a Canvas Module
- Option 2: Embed a Panopto Video on a Canvas Page (amid other content on that page)
- Note: when you use either option, the video is added to the Panopto Recordings library for the course.
- This is optional; not required in order to use Panopto
- Do this to give users one-stop access to all videos uploaded to the course
- Do this to edit or add captions to course videos
- Recordings library link can be hidden/disabled without affecting visibility of existing video links
Watch: Uploading Video Files to the Panopto Recordings Library (1 minute)
2. Do More: Editing, Captions, Quizzes, Assignments
Watch: Edit/Trim a Video (5 minutes)
Watch: Insert Automatic Captions Into a Video (2 minutes)
Watch: Add a Quiz to a Panopto Video (8 minutes)
3. Zoom Meeting Recordings in Panopto
If you schedule a Zoom meeting using the Zoom tool in Canvas, the meeting's recording will be copied into the Panopto Recordings folder of the course and be avalable for viewing as soon as it is processed by Zoom.
Prevent Instant Availability of Zoom Recordings – You may wish to edit a meeting recording before making it available (publishing) to the class. Use Panopto's "Approval Workflow" to keep Zoom recordings unpublished until you're ready to release them.
Install Panopto Desktop Recorder
The desktop recorder software is used when you want to record content from your computer. Since Panopto can 'injest' an mp4, there really isn't a restriction on what tool you use to make that .mp4.
- Login to oat.hosted.panopto.com using your Canvas login. First time users must authorize Panopto to interact with your Canvas course list.
- Click Download Panopto in the upper right of the page to start the installation process.
- Launch Panopto on your computer.
- If necessary, sign in to Panopto recorder with your Canvas login. This will enable Panopto to show you the folders you have access to.
- Click "Create New Recording" to begin making your first Panopto recording.
What About Camtasia?
Most users should consider using Panopto's desktop recorder instead of Camtasia for common recording projects like basic lecture screen recordings. Even though it does not have quite the same advanced features as Camtasia, Panopto is, in general, a simpler and more efficient tool, esp. for delivery to students.
Panopto + Canvas Help
For assistance using Panopto or integrating it with Canvas, contact email@example.com.
Updated: October 11, 2022