This page describes various tools available to instructors for conducting video-based assessments and related activities. Flipgrid, Panopto, and VoiceThread are all video-based tools, but it can be hard to know which one to use. All three tools have strengths and weaknesses for any given activity, and all three tools send grades into the Canvas grade book. Read on for information that will clarify which tool is right for your activity.
Overall consideration: Will your activity benefit from the ability to use multiple slides or media objects within a single presentation?
- You want students to discuss a single topic or question using video replies instead of typed text, whether graded or ungraded.
- You want to view student posts and grade them using Canvas's SpeedGrader tool.
- You want students to record or upload a prerecorded video file that will be critiqued and/or graded by you in Speedgrader
- You want students to provide peer feedback on individual videos (via typed comments)
- You want students to build, narrate, and submit a multi-slide multimedia presentation from scratch, either individually or as a group.
- You want all students to watch and comment on their peers’ presentations.
- You want students to have a web discussion (using voice, video, or text) within the context of a larger slide presentation.
- You want students to use a single VT to have a web discussion by choosing from multiple topics/prompts.
- You want students to contribute media/videos to a common class-wide presentation and record comments.
- You don't need to use SpeedGrader to grade student work in the activity (grades are still passed back to Canvas)
Updated: April 21, 2023