Work Study Employment

All information and guidelines pertaining to work-study employees can be located on the Work-Study page within Financial Aid & Scholarships. For all questions, please contact Ana Contreras at (209) 664-6582 or

Academic Student Employees

All information and guidelines pertaining to Academic Student Employees (Instructional Students, Graduate Assistants or Teaching Associates) can be located on the Faculty Affairs web page.


To review your Student Employee's training requirements, please visit Training & Development or visit the CSU Learn page. For questions, please contact Kimberly McField at (209) 667-3648 or by email at

Student Employment Training Recordings


Student Assistant/Bridge

Human Resources

Academic Student Employees (R11)

Edwena Jacobs

Federal Work-Study

Ana Contreras

Frequently Asked Questions

During regular Academic Terms (Spring and Fall Semester): student employees are allowed to work up to a maximum of 20 hours per week (including the week of finals).
During the Winter Session/Academic Break: student employees are allowed to work up to a maximum of 40 hours per week and shall not be scheduled, nor permitted, to work overtime.
During the Summer Term: student employees are allowed to work up to a maximum of 40 hours per week.

Upon graduation, Student Assistants may work up until the last official day of the academic term. In addition, graduating Student Assistants are allowed to work one term immediately following graduation, up until the day before the next term starts, as a Bridge Student Assistant.

For Example:
e.g.1)Student Assistants graduating in the spring term may work through the summer term up until the day before the fall term begins.

e.g.2)Student Assistants graduating in the fall term may continue to work through the Winter Session/Academic Break as a Student Assistant (1870). Additionally, Student Assistants may work may work through the spring term up until the day before the summer term begins as a Bridge employee.

Depending on your department you will need to contact either the Budget Office or Academic Affairs.

It depends on the job and if the student has had a background check previously.  Student employees are subject to background checks if either of the following applies:

  • The student employee will be entering a new position working in direct contact with minor children (as required by law), and/or if they will have access to information that is classified as Level 1 - Confidential (see CSU Policy 8065.S02, pg. 64) 
  • The student employee has not been cleared by LiveScan (for employment purposes) within the last 12 months.  Background checks must be completed and the student assistant cleared for employment by HR prior to working.

Absolutely.  Regardless if the student voluntarily resigns, if the position ends because of lack of funding, or if they are released from their duties for other reasons, HR must be informed when employment ends (as with any employee). You will need to complete the Reappointment/Change Form located under the Forms heading at the top of the page and submit to Human Resources.

Complete the Transaction Request Form, which is located under the Forms heading located at the top of this page.

There are three types of salary increases, all requested via the Transaction Request Form, which is located under the Forms heading. For details on the types of increases available, please refer to your Manager's Guide located under the Guides heading.

Updated: May 02, 2024