Manager Resources

Job Opportunities | Student Resources | Manager Resources

Student Hiring Information Sessions:

*For supervisors, timekeepers, and supporting staff & faculty
12/2/19 10:30 AM

MSR 333

12/9/19 10:30 AM

MSR 333

12/12/19 2:00 PM

MSR 333

1/9/2020 2:00 PM

MSR 333

1/13/2020 10:30 AM

MSR 333

1/23/2020 2:00 PM

MSR 333

1/27/2020 10:30 AM

MSR 333

2/6/2020 2:00 PM

MSR 333

2/10/2020 10:30 AM

MSR 333

2/20/2020 2:00 PM

MSR 333

2/24/2020 10:30 AM

MSR 333



Step-By-Step Hiring Guidelines (To be used only for Recruitments prior to 11/4/19)
Supervisor's Guide to Student Employment (To be used only for Recruitments prior to 11/4/19)
New Hire Step-by-Step guide
Reappointment Step-by-Step guide
Student Employee Classification & Pay Guidelines
Quick Contact Reference Guide 



Hire/Rehire Form (To be used only for Recruitments prior to 11/4/19)
Reappointment/Change Form
Paper TimeSheet

*Please check with someone in HR or Payroll prior to using a paper timesheet for your student employee.

Academic Calendar

Work Study Employment

All information and guidelines pertaining to work study employees can be located on the Work Study page within Financial Aid & Scholarships. For all questions, please contact Ana Contreras at (209) 664-6582 or

Academic Student Employees

All information and guidelines pertaining to Academic Student Employees (Instructional Student, Graduate Assistants or Teaching Associates) can be located on the Faculty Affairs web page.       


To review your Student Employees training requirements please visit Training & Development or visit the CSU Learn page. For questions please contact Kimberly McField at (209) 667-3648 or by email at

Workers' Compensation

In case of a work-related injury or illness, please see Workers’ Compensation web page. For all questions, please contact Krista Vasquez at (209) 664-6921 or


Student Assistant/Bridge Federal Work Study Academic Student Employees
Areli Ortiz (x6774)
Talent Acquistion & Employment Assistant
Ana Contreras (x6582)
Federal Work Study Advisor
Nancy Moghadas (x3027)
Employment Professional


Frequently Asked Questions:

Q:  Who do I contact for issues regarding my Student Employee's funding source?
  Depending on your department you will need to contact either the Budget Office or Academic Affairs.

Q:  Can my student employee work full-time over the summer if he/she is taking a summer class?
A:  Yes, over the summer your student is rehired into the Bridge Student Assistant classification (1874), and as such, may work up to, but not to exceed, 40 hours per week.  Please remember though, that your student’s primary purpose is to achieve their academic goals, so supervisors should be flexible with their schedule to enable them to attend their classes.

Q:  Are student employees subject to background checks? 
It depends on the job and if the student has had a background check previously.  Student employees are subject to background checks if either of the following applies:

  • The student employee will be entering a new position working in direct contact with minor children (as required by law), and/or if they will have access to information that is classified as Level 1 - Confidential (see CSU Policy 8065.S02, pg. 64) 
  • The student employee has not been cleared by LiveScan (for employment purposes) within the last 12 months.  Background checks must be completed and the student assistant cleared for employment by HR prior to working.

Q:  Can my student work full-time over the winter intersession?
If your student is enrolled in one or more winter classes, they may work full-time (40) hours on Non-Instructional “white” days (on the College-Year Calendar) in which they do not have a class (including online classes).  For students that are not enrolled in winter classes may work up to, but not to exceed, 40 hours per week on all Non-Instructional “white” days (on the College-Year Calendar).

Q:  Should I inform HR if my student employee resigns from their student assistant position?
  Absolutely.  Regardless if the student voluntarily resigns, if the position ends because of lack of funding, or if they are released from their duties for other reasons, HR must be informed when employment ends (as with any employee). You will need to complete the Reappointment/Change Form located under the Forms heading and submit to Human Resources.

Q: What form would I use if I want to rehire a Student Employee?
Complete the Reappointment/Change Form, which is located under the Forms heading.

Q: How does my student employee get a salary increase?

A: There are three types of salary increases, all requested via the Reappointment/Change Form which is located under the Forms heading:

1) Service Pay Increase  When a student employee works 500 hours, he/she is eligible for a $.25 increase. 

2) Job Progression Increase  When a student employee’s position changes and/or grows in scope and/or responsibility, independence, etc., the manager may request a salary reclassification.  Justification must be submitted with the request. 

3) Equity Increase  When a student employee meets one or more of the below criteria:

- Department salary inequity due to Minimum Wage increase.
- Department salary inequity between Student Employees with the same job title.
- Department salary inequity between new hires and current employees with the same job title.

Please note:  It is the responsibility of the student employee’s MPP supervisor to initiate all salary increases, and that the effective date of an approved salary increase will be the first day of the following pay period after the request is received in HR.