Health Care

Health Care Plans

As a CSU Employee, you have an opportunity to participate in a variety of benefits programs. We offer a comprehensive program of benefits that include health, dental, vision, flexible benefits and more.

Your benefits begin the first of the month following your date of hire, as long as the Benefits Office receives your enrollment documents by the end of the month that you are hired. Note for Faculty: Faculty starting in the Fall are eligible for benefit coverage effective October 1. Faculty starting in the Spring are eligible for benefit coverage effective March 1. 

Please complete your enrollment documents within 60 days of your hire date in order to avoid a mandatory 90 day waiting period. To enroll, complete the Benefits Information Worksheet and submit to the Benefits Unit in the Human Resources Office, MSR320.

To review all benefits including health plans, employee programs, savings plans, retirement and more, you may visit the CalState Benefits Portal at:  CSYou

If you have any questions about your benefit options, please contact Rose Jones with the Benefits Unit of the Human Resources Office at: (209) 664-6730.

Medical Information

Enrollment Documents

Dental Information

  • 2018 Dental Plan Summary.pdf
  • CSU offers two dental plans (monthly dental premiums are 100% paid by CSU):
    (1) Delta Dental PPO - traditional fee-for service plan that covers mosts dental providers
    (800) 765-6003 (Group #4018);
    (2) DeltaCare USA HMO (formerly PMI) - offers a limited network of dentists
    (800) 422-4234 (Group #2034)

Vision Information

Domestic Partners

Assembly Bill 26 (AB 26) was signed by Governor Davis and the CSU Board of Trustees adopted those provisions. Effective January 1, 2000, the CSU is extending health, dental and vision coverages to eligible employees who have the following registered domestic partnerships:

  • Specified same-sex domestic partnerships between persons who are both at least 18 years old.
  • Specified opposite sex domestic partnerships when one or both persons are over 62 years old.

Eligible employees must first register the domestic partnership with the Secretary of State:

Secretary of State
P. O. Box 944225
Sacramento, CA 94244-2250
(916) 653-4984

Once registered, employees must submit the following completed documents to the Human Resources Office:

  • Declaration of Domestic Partnership, available from the Secretary of State; and
  • Statement of Financial Liability for Domestic Partner Health Benefits, available on the forms rack outside the Human Resources Office; and
  • Statement of Financial Liability for Domestic Partner Dental and Vision Benefits, available on the forms rack outside the Human Resources Office.

Once the necessary documentation is received, the insurance enrollment forms will be completed. Children of registered domestic partnerships may also be enrolled in the insurance plans. The effective date of coverage will be on a prospective basis.

Health Care FAQs

How do I sign up for insurance or change my existing coverage?

Fill out the Benefits Information Worksheet and return to the Benefits Office MSR340. If you are a new employee or have recently become benefits-eligible, you have 60 days from your date of hire to sign up. You may change your existing coverage only during Open Enrollment (in fall each year) or if you have a qualifying life event.

How do I find out what medical or dental insurance I have?

Login to your MyCSUSTAN account. Under the Employee Page tab, locate the Benefits section and choose Benefits Summary. The following page will list all of your services, with detailed explainations found by clicking a benefits option in the list.

Do I get insurance cards for medical?

Yes. You should receive your cards within two months of enrolling. If you haven't received them after this time, please contact your provider - Anthem Blue Cross, Blue Shield, Kaiser, or United Healthcare.

Do I get insurance cards for dental?

No. When you visit a participating Delta Dental dentist, you will just need to give them your social security number for identification. Visit the Delta Dental website for more information.

Do I get insurance cards for vision?

No. When you visit an optometrist, you will just need to give them your social security number for identification.

Do I need a form to visit the doctor, dentist or optometrist?

To see your doctor, simply bring your insurance card to your appointment. For dentist or optometrist visits, provide your social security number when checking in. If you have dependents utilizting these services, they will need to use your (covered employee's) social security number.

What pharmacy can I go to?

If you are covered under Anthem Blue Cross or United Healthcare you may use any pharmacy to order and pick up prescriptions. These networks also allow you to have prescriptions mailed to your home using OptumRx. Blue Shield members may also use any pharmacy to order and pick up prescriptions and use Caremark to have prescriptions mailed to your home.  If you are a Kaiser member, you must go to a Kaiser pharmacy and use Kaiser pharmacy for mail services.

Can I mail order prescriptions?

Yes. Refer to your prescription provider's website for information.

What is FlexCash and how do I get it?

Employees who are eligible for medical/dental insurance can elect to waive CSU coverage in exchange for a cash payment ($128/monthly if you waive medical only, $12/monthly if you waive dental only and $140/monthly if you waive both medical and dental), if they have other non-CSU coverage. If they elect not to keep the CSU medical and/or dental coverage, you will be required to certify on the FlexCash Enrollment Authorization form that you have alternative non-CSU medical and/or dental coverage and provide proof of other non-CSU coverage. You are not eligible to participate if you are covered as the dependent of another CSU employee. The Flex Cash payment is treated as taxable income and is subject to payroll taxes. For detailed information, refer to the CSU FlexCash pamphlet.

Who is my vision care provider?

All benefits-eligible CSU employees have Vision Services Plan.

Do you have discount tickets for the various amusement parts and activities?

Visit the Tickets at Work website to see what tickets are available. They can be ordered online.