The Respondus LockDown Browser (RLDB) is a locked browser that prevents students from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during an assessment. When the RLDB is enabled for a quiz, students will be required to download and use RLDB to take the quiz or exam. Watch an overview video on LockDown Browser.
Respondus Monitor is an automated proctoring feature that can be turned on when using the LockDown Browser that uses a student’s webcam and video analytics to help instructors catch cheating. Watch an overview video on Monitor.
- Faculty can customize settings for each quiz/exam
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized or exited until exam is submitted
- Prevents access to other applications including messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machines, and network monitoring applications
- Copy and paste, print, and screen capture functions are disabled
- Students can take online exams 24/7 without pre-scheduling
- Records and analyzes student exam sessions
- Suspicious behaviors are flagged and ranked
- Advanced Facial Detection can prevent exam from starting or prompt students to stay in frame
How to Access Respondus Lockdown Browser
Faculty can enable Respondus LockDown Browser & Monitor for a Canvas Quiz by following the following directions:
- Make sure the quiz has been deployed in the Canvas course.
- From the Course Navigation in Canvas, select LockDown Browser.
- A list of quizzes in the course will be displayed.
- Quizzes will labeled with Required/Not Required under the corresponding features that are turned on for that exam (LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor)
- To change the settings, select Settings from the context menu (down arrow) to the left of the quiz title and select the desired option.
When students land on the quiz page of a RLDB enabled quiz, they will be provided a link to download RLDB. Students will not be able to access (start) the quiz until they are accessing the quiz page from the RLDB.
Students can download the RLDB for their computer or the iPad app. This app is not currently available for android devices.
Note: Chromebook are not supported. Please refer to your instructor to see if iPads are allowed for your quiz as this setting must be enabled by the instructor.
Respondus Lockdown Browser Download
Respondus Lockdown Browser Guides/Tutorials
Respondus Lockdown Browser Instructor Training
Respondus offers webinars on this topic periodically.
Group, one-on-one, or virtual sessions are also available to faculty.
Respondus Lockdown Browser Technical Support
Users who still need help after reviewing the resources on this page or contacting Respondus Lockdown Browser technical support can request support from the OAT team by using the link below.