The Respondus LockDown Browser (RLDB) is a special web browser for taking exams that prevents students from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during the assessment. When the RLDB is enabled for a quiz, students will be required to download and use RLDB to take the quiz or exam.
Respondus Monitor is an automated proctoring feature that can be turned on when using the LockDown Browser that uses a student’s webcam and video analytics to help instructors catch cheating.
Features of LockDown Browser and Monitor
- Faculty can customize settings for each quiz/exam
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized or exited until exam is submitted
- Prevents access to other applications including messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machines, and network monitoring applications
- Copy and paste, print, and screen capture functions are disabled
- Students can take online exams 24/7 without pre-scheduling
- Monitor: Records and analyzes student exam sessions
- Monitor: Suspicious behaviors are flagged and ranked
- Monitor: Advanced Facial Detection can prevent exam from starting or prompt students to stay in frame
How to Access Respondus Lockdown Browser
Faculty can enable RLDB for a Canvas quiz as follows:
- Make sure the quiz has been deployed in the Canvas course.
- Enable LockDown Browser in the course navigation.
- From the course navigation, select LockDown Browser
- A list of quizzes in the course will be displayed.
- Quizzes will labeled with Required/Not Required under the corresponding features that are turned on for that exam (LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor)
- Click Settings from the context menu (down arrow) and select the desired option
When students land on the quiz page of a RLDB-enabled quiz, they will be prompted to download RLDB. Students then open RLDB and return to Canvas. Students will not be able to start the quiz until they are accessing the quiz page from the RLDB.
Students can download the RLDB for their computer or the iPad app. Chromebooks are supported via the Chrome web store. This app is not currently available for Android devices.
Download and Install Respondus Lockdown Browser
Respondus Lockdown Browser Guides & Tutorials
Respondus Lockdown Browser Instructor Training
Respondus offers webinars on this topic periodically.
Group, one-on-one, or virtual sessions are also available to faculty.
Lockdown Browser Technical Support (Students)
Students should contact Respondus technical support with questions about installing or using LockDown Browser.