NASW provides a list of common social work jobs. A master’s degree in social work enables to you obtain positions in a variety of settings including non-profit, public, and private social services agencies; schools, hospitals; home health, hospice; and local, state and federal government agencies.

For more information please see NASW website.

Yes. In terms of general degree requirements, you must have completed your bachelor's degree before being accepted into the MSW Program.

There is no requirement for a specific bachelor’s degree major. However, a Liberal Arts background is preferred, (e.g., Psychology, Sociology, Child Development, Counseling, Anthropology, Ethnic Studies, Women's Studies, Liberal Arts, Criminal Justice, Philosophy, and History).

A 2.5 GPA is the minimum for entry into the MSW Program. Graduate school requires a 2.5 GPA for the last 60 units only. They do not require this for the overall GPA, although a 3.0 for the last 60 is preferred.

The MSW program at CSUS does not require an applicant to take the GRE.

No, the MSW program only admits in the fall semester of each year.

This is a very competitive program. Hundreds of applications are received every year. It is highly recommended to follow the instructions on the application process in detail.

The MSW Program is fully accredited through the CSWE (Council on Social Work Education). This applies to the 2-year3-year and hybrid program

The next application cycle will open on October 1.

A criminal history does not preclude review of an application for admissions. However, if one scores high enough to be considered for admission to our program, the MSW department will undertake a review of the criminal history, if any. How a criminal history will hamper one’s admission depends on the nature of the offense, its resolution, when did it occur and the number and types of offenses noted. The answers to these questions generally help to determine the likelihood of the student being able to secure a field placement, which is a required course in order to graduate. So, as you can see - criminal histories require us to consider the issue on a case by case basis. As a rule of thumb, the more recent the offense (within the last three years), then it will be more difficult to secure a field placement. 

Yes. There is a 3-year program with evening classes, and we also offer an accelerated Hybrid program. The Hybrid Program has an integrative behavioral health focus, is completed in two years, and has two required face-to-face sessions; field practicum is during summer.

Please see Degrees & Programs.

Two-year, three-year and Hybrid program. Both the 2 and 3-year program has field internship on Tuesdays and Thursdays for full days. Field seminar will take place every other week, at the discretion of the faculty liaison. The days/times of the field seminar will be announced once the semester begins. Field for the 3-year program will take place during the first two years of the program.

  • Two year = The 2-year program is a full-time rigorous program with classes taking place at the Turlock campus. Core classes are scheduled during the day. This program is not intended for students who are working full time.
  • Three year = The 3-year program is part time with classes taking place at the Turlock campus. Core classes are scheduled during the evening. This program is for those who are employed full time.
  • Hybrid = The hybrid program is an accelerated, two-year program that is based at the Stockton campus that has a clinical focus on behavioral health. The classes are scheduled on the quarter system and re cohort based. Classes are scheduled two at a time for 8 weeks with a one-week break in between classes. Cohorts meet one full Saturday a month throughout the two years of the program. The schedule is given in advanced to those accepted into the hybrid program. Due to the clinical focus, electives are predetermined. Unlike the 2- and 3-year program, the hybrid program is self-supported and is part of the University of Extended Education. The cost for the hybrid program is $35,000 which is divided up into four equal payments. Stipends are not available to hybrid students. Field internship for the hybrid program is scheduled for 13 weeks, 40 hours a week, over the summer for both years of the program.   

Applicants must apply to either the on-campus program (selecting either the two-year OR three-year program, not both) or the Hybrid program. You cannot apply to both programs.

Title IV-E Stipends, On-campus part-time employment (University work study), Financial Aid (governmental grants/loans), Graduate Assistantships.

Please see:

The Title IV-E [of the Social Security Act] MSW program is funded to provide financial support for students to promote careers in public child welfare. Students admitted to the 2-year MSW stateside program, must also apply (separate application) and be accepted into the Title IV-E program. Those students accepted to receive the Title IVE stipend will receive an award of $37,000 spread over two years. In addition, students must demonstrate a commitment to a career in public child welfare through a separate application process.  Students admitted to the 3-year MSW program may apply for the Title IV-E stipend by meeting the following qualifications: are current employees of a county, social services, or state human services agency. Those who apply and are accepted into the Title IV-E program will receive support in the form of reimbursement for all required educational program costs and qualifying transportation expense.

This stipend is only available for advanced-year MSW students (that is, students already enrolled in the MSW Program) and requires a one-year payback commitment post-graduation.

Applications are to be submitted via please see for more information.  

Yes, you need to submit a new application and complete the admissions requirements again.  

If five years has lapsed since your last degree, you do not have to get a letter of recommendation from a professor from that institution.

Reference letters should be from someone who has supervised you in the workplace or during volunteer experience. The preference is obtaining letters from people who have supervised your work or volunteer experience. 

Work experience is paid employment. Volunteer experience is work done by choice, with no expectation of payment. Please submit all paid and unpaid experience in your application.

We will notify applicants via email and will follow up with applicants as necessary. The program does not give out details regarding where applicants are on the waitlist.

You will need to reapply as a new applicant. Future acceptance is not guaranteed.

You must submit transcripts from all Universities and Colleges that you have attended, regardless of where you earned your degree. This includes colleges where you may have taken only one class. Your transcripts must be sent by the February 1st deadline. To avoid delay, it is best to send your transcripts as soon as possible.

More than likely not as long as Graduate School as received all of your transcripts. It is best to check with Graduate School to make sure that they have all of your transcripts, or to see if there is anything else needed.

We do not delay admission. If you are not able to start the MSW Program when you are offered admission, you must reapply to the program again.

Neither the applicant nor the MSW Program have the ability to upload reference letters on behalf of the recommender. This must be done by the recommender using the link automatically generated by CalStateApply. Once a recommendation letter has been submitted, it cannot be changed.

Once an application has been submitted, documents cannot be resubmitted. This includes documents submitted by your recommenders. Please be sure to check ALL documents before submitted your application.

The Department cannot release any information regarding your application to another person. Applicants must directly contact the department to request any information.

For students interested in obtaining their LCSW after successful completion of the program, no additional requirements will be required. The MSW Program meets all prerequisites as put forth by the BBS.

The MSW Program does not offer PPSC Credential.

For more details about applying to graduate school, tuition, etc., please go to the CalStateApply site.

Updated: July 25, 2023