If you have a sense that your student is in distress, here are a few suggestions:

  • Have an open, direct, and caring conversation with your student about what you are noticing or are concerned about. Be specific.
  • Be present and leave the door open for your student to talk.
  • Limit judgment and share honest reactions.
  • Help your student identify the root of the problem and create an action plan. With minor distress, sometimes helping your student figure out why they are feeling the way they are and coming up with a plan can be helpful.
  • Offer to come to campus to visit or invite student to come home for the weekend, if possible.
  • Suggest campus support: this could be in the form of contacting academic advisors, coaches, Student Health Center, Resident Advisors, and/or Counseling And Psychological Services.
  • You may wish to speak with your student about seeking professional help. Direct them to CAPS to schedule an appointment call (209) 667-3381 or walk into CAPS office.

Updated: February 13, 2024