What do I do if I am in a vehicle accident while driving for University Business?

It depends! What was your role at the time of the accident?


University Police Department
Phone: (209) 667-3114

Safety & Risk Management Director
Phone: (209) 667-3057

Public Information Officer
Phone: (209) 667-3997

Phone: (916) 376-5302

  • At the scene of the accident, do NOT admit fault or make any promises that the State of California or California State University, Stanislaus will pay for any damages. Using the Vehicle Accident ID Card Std 269 card, write down as much information as you can. Tear off the perforated part and give it to the other driver.
  • If you or any other party involved suffered significant bodily injury or property damage, report the accident immediately to University Police and the Safety & Risk Management (S&RM) Director.
  • If the accident did not happen on campus, you must complete the Vehicle Accident Report Std 270 within 48 hours following the accident and submit it to the S&RM Director. If the accident did happen on a campus roadway, a University Police Officer will investigate the scene,complete the Vehicle Accident Report Std 270 and both of you will sign it.
  • The S&RM Director will obtain any additional accident reports filed by local police or the California Highway Patrol. University Police will send the Std 270 and other accident reports, if applicable, to the S&RM Director, who will contact the California State Office of Risk and Insurance Manager in Sacramento (ORIM).
  • ORIM will open a claim and investigate to determine fault. If the University driver is at fault, ORIM will handle the claim and settle payment. If the University driver is not at fault, ORIM will return the claim to the S&RM Director for settlement.
  • If you are contacted by the other driver, their insurance company or their attorney, give the caller no written or recorded statements and refer them to the ORIM claims adjuster or the S&RM Director.
  • If the accident has attracted media attention, refer them to the University Communications Public Information Officer.
  • Safety & Risk Management Director (SRM Director)
    Phone: (209) 667-3057

  • Review the Vehicle Accident Report Std 270 to attest to the fact that the employee was on official University business.
  • Conduct a prompt and through investigation of the vehicle accident and initiate any verbal or written correction with the employee driver.
  • Complete the Supervisor's Review of Motor Vehicle Accident Std 274 and forward it to the S&RM Director. The purpose of the Std 274 form is to determine whether the accident was avoidable and to aid in the prevention of future vehicle accidents.

  • Make no promises or commitments to the claimants that their claim will be paid!
  • Refer claimants directly to your claims adjuster at ORIM or to the S&RM Director.

Updated: January 19, 2023