What is Supplemental Instruction (SI)?
Supplemental Instruction is an internationally recognized academic support program that uses peer support to improve student retention and success. SI was first developed in 1973 by Dr. Deanna Martin at what is now the International Center for Supplemental Instruction at the University of Missouri, Kansas City.
SI is a voluntary program that offers free, weekly study sessions for traditionally difficult courses. It is for all students who want to improve their understanding of course material and improve their grades; it is not just for those who are struggling.
SI sessions are led by student SI Leaders who engage students in interactive group activities to help them learn course concepts, prepare for exams, and learn effective study skills.
Why Supplemental Instruction (SI)?
The goal of SI is to have an impact on student retention while developing students into independent learners.
Students who participate in SI sessions:
- Learn how to learn while learning what to learn
- Study collaboratively with peer students in a facilitated environment where you discuss course readings, content, and participate in learning activities.
Our data suggests that the more often you attend SI, the higher your final grade will be in the course. We recommend attending SI at least once per week.
How to Attend an Online SI Sesssion
- Log into StanTutor account using your Stan State credentials
- Scroll to the bottom of the Main Menu and look at your "Upcoming Appointments" box
- 15-minutes before the start time of your appointment, you will see a button labelled "Enter ZOOM Appointment"
- Click this button and it takes you to the Zoom for your Online SI Session with your SI Leader
Step-by-Step User Guide: How to Attend an Online SI Session
Do you have an SI Leader?
To View the course list for SI Sessions, visit the SI Session Schedule page.
Want to attend a different session?
In order to attend a different SI session than the session that is assigned to your course, you must contact the SI Office at email@example.com.