Public Health Promotion Mission
The purpose of the Public Health Promotion degree is twofold. First, to prepare exceptional public health promotion students that can serve in a variety of health settings of practice, including but not limited to schools, work-sites, communities, with individuals, and in the health care system. The second is to promote healthy lifestyles and prevent diseases within a given population.
The Public Health Promotion degree program provides students with an understanding of a wide range of health topics including public health principles; community health issues; risk factors and prevention; behavior-change theory and application; health promotion program assessment, design, implementation, and evaluation. The Public Health Promotion program educates students to utilize an ecological framework to approach the determinants of health.
Students may wish to begin their career, continue their education, and/or take the national exam for the certified health education specialist (CHES) after graduating from the Public Health Promotion program. No matter the goal, students will be prepared to address emerging individual and public health challenges.
Public Health Promotion Program Learning Outcomes
The B.S. in Public Health Promotion will enable students to:
- Locate, evaluate, summarize, synthesize, and attribute information relevant to assessing and improving population health.
- Explain the relationship between and impact of social and physical determinants of health and their contribution to health disparities
- Identify the fundamental relationship between health, human rights, social justice, ethical practice, and advocacy
- Effectively utilize oral and written forms of communication to disseminate health information to diverse audiences
- Demonstrate professional and ethical standards and capacity to work independently and collaboratively
- Apply techniques used to analyze, monitor, and evaluate public health-related data
- Develop, implement, and evaluate public health programs conducted in varied settings
- Practice cultural humility, responsiveness, and respect when working with diverse populations
|Contact Name||Advisor for Last Name||Shedule an Appointment||Office|
|Brent Powell, Ph.D., CHES (Professor)||A - J||Schedule an Appointmentfirstname.lastname@example.org||FX 111|
|Ping Luo, Ed.D. (Professor)||K - R||Schedule an Appointmentemail@example.com||FX 105|
|Eric Conrad, Ph.D., CHES (Assist. Professor)||S- Z||Schedule an Appointmentfirstname.lastname@example.org||FX 107|
|Heidi Santino, M.S. (Practicum Coordinator)||email@example.com|
- B.S. Public Health Promotion Advising Sheet (pdf)
- B.S. Public Health Promotion Advising Sheet (fillable spreadsheet)
- Course Sequence Roadmap (4-year)
- Course Sequence Roadmap (2-year)
- Frequently Asked Questions document concerning B.S. in Public Health Promotion
- Watch this video on various jobs described by individuals working in the field
- Watch this video from the Society for Public Health Education: Roles of Public Health Education Specialist
- Watch this video concerning "The State of Global Health"
- Search Accredited Public Health Programs (MPH - Masters of Public Health)
Select weblinks are provided below to assist with learning more about the topics.
- Public Health
- Health Education
- Health Promotion
- Certified Health Education Specialist
- What can you do with a public health degree?
- Guide to Online Degrees in Public Health
Public health practitioners work in hospitals, nonprofit or government organizations, doctors’ offices, private businesses, and university settings.
- Counselor Education
- Public Administration
- Social Work
- Complimentary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)
- Traditional or Eastern Medicine
- Nutrition and Dietetics
- Healthcare Administration
- With other courses, can prepare students for Physician Assistant, Chiropractic Medicine
This degree also requires a practicum course your last semester. To learn more, please select the Public Health Promotion Practicum tab.
2021 - Job Medina-Ramirez
2016 - Consuelo Hernandez
2017 - Bryan Jimenez
2018 - James Nelson
2019 - Alexxa Banuelos
2020 - Samantha Nerio
Updated: October 06, 2022