Advising through the Academic Success Center

Freshman, Sophomores, and other students who have not completed the Enrollment Requirements for the Major will be advised through the Academic Success Center

Orientation to the Department of Kinesiology & Public Health Promotion

STAN Planner

STAN Planner is an interactive tool available in myStanState to help students be more proactive with their course planning. The user-friendly interface gives you a visual presentation of your path to timely degree completion.


When do I see my major advisor?​   

  • ANSWER: The semester you will complete 60 units and the Enrollment Requirements.

​What if I am changing majors to Kinesiology, Exercise Science, or Public Health Promotion? 

  • ANSWER: You must have the Enrollment Requirements completed before you can be declared a Kinesiology & Exercise Science as a major. If the Enrollment Requirements are not complete, your major will then be Undeclared with a Kinesiology or Exercise Science Interest.
  • Public Health Promotion does not require the completion of the enrollment requirements prior to changing your major. However, you must have them completed by your senior year or you will not be able to register for courses. 
  • The Enrollment Requirements vary slightly based on the degree but are located on the top of each advising sheet. The Enrollment Requirements may include Biology, Physiology, Anatomy, & Statistics. 

 What if I will have 60 units (Junior) status at the end of this semester?

  • ANSWER: Schedule an advising appointment

For the Health Promotion concentration or Public Health Promotion degree, do I have to take BIO1010/1020 and MBIO2010?

  • ANSWER: BIOL1010/1020 is generally a lower division GE requirement. Only students who were Pre-Nursing before switching to major in Public Health Promotion may have MBIO2010  count as fulfilling the Biology Enrollment Requirement for the major.

For the B.S. in Exercise Science, will any chemistry course count?

  • ANSWER: No, General Chemistry (CHEM1100/1102) is part of the degree requirements for both Exercise Science concentrations (Rehabilitation Science and Movement Science). Many of the graduate programs students want to attend after obtaining the B.S. in Exercise Science require at least General Chemistry. 

Where do I find copies of advising forms?

  • ​ANSWER: Many advising forms are provided on the website found below. 

How do I schedule an appointment with my advisor?

  • ANSWER: Your advisor will have a sign-up sheet posted outside their office. Some faculty also have online appointment schedules. If the advisor uses an online scheduler, you can select their name below to make an appointment or find the information posted on their door. 

Where do I find forms needed to change my major, apply for graduation, etc.?

Degree Programs and Concentrations

B.A. in Kinesiology: Single Subject Matter P.E. (K-12) (Yellow Sheet)

B.S. in Exercise Science (Orange Sheet)

B.S. in Public Health Promotion (Purple Sheet - NEW)

B.A. in Kinesiology: Health Promotion (Purple Sheet DISC for new students Fall-20)

B.A. in Kinesiology: (White Sheet - no concentration)


If you have previously seen an advisor, stay with them. If you are new, the advising list is divided among advisors based on the first letter of your last name.

B.A. in Kinesiology: Single Subject Matter Program P.E.(K12)

First Letter of Last Name Advisor Office Email
A - L      Dr. Erin Hall F 136
M - Z  Dr. Heather Deaner F 138


B.S. in Exercise Science: Concentrations in Rehabilitation Science and Movement Science

First Letter of Last Name Advisor Office Email
A - H Dr. Sue Eastham F 141
I - R Dr. Arya Alami F 135 
S - Z Dr. Jeff Bernard F 137

B.S. in Public Health Promotion 

First Letter of Last Name Advisor Office Email
Sabbatical     Make an appointment button Dr. Brent Powell FX 111
A-B & H-M      Dr. Ping Luo FX 105 
C-D & N-S     Make an appointment button Dr. Eric Conrad FX 107

E-G & T-Z      Make an appointment button Dr. Wura Jacobs FX 109


Students who are are following the white sheet (B.A. in Kinesiology) will see Dr. Heather Deaner, and students who are blue sheet (Liberal Studies - P.E. Concentration) will see Dr. Erin Hall.