International Travel

Please note: this process is in addition to normal university business travel requirements set forth by the Stanislaus State Travel Services.

Foreign Travel Insurance Registration Form

  1. Submit an International Travel Request via Concur Travel and Expense which can be found on the Financial and Support Services Gateway under Travel. The online submission of info is automatically routed for approval by the appropriate Department Chair, Dean, Risk Management, and Provost. * NOTE: if you will travel to a country that is on the State Dept. Travel Warning list or the CSU High Hazard and War Risk Countries list see below for special instructions.
  2. Register for the Foreign Travel Insurance Program online
  3. Once registered for insurance, the traveler will be contacted by the Office of Safety & Risk Management with follow up to include:
    1. Information on travel warnings or CSU restrictions (*See High Hazard note below.)
    2. Confirmation of coverage and approval of Concur Travel Request
    3. Review of accompanying traveler information and Release (if applicable)
    4. Provision of the Travel Assistance Card to use during their trip
    5. Info about the STEP registration with the State Department

If you will travel to a country that is on the State Dept. Travel Warning list, the CSU High Hazard and War Risk Countries List, then the above process must be completed at least 30-days prior to the departure date. High hazard travel requires additional approval by the University President and the CSU Chancellor.

It is important that Stanislaus State faculty, staff, and student traveling internationally on university business/university sponsored trips do so in as safe a manner as possible. All employees and students who travel internationally on CSU business are required to use the Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP). University Sponsored Trips are those which the University directs; funds; approves; assigns; requires for academic credit; or requires as part of a program or class. FTIP provides coverage anywhere in the world that is not the United States of America (including territories and possessions) and any country or jurisdiction which the subject of trade of economic sanctions imposed by the law or regulations of the United States of America. Subject to terms, conditions and applicable exclusions FTIP benefits include and are not limited to the following:

  • General Liability
  • Excess Auto Liability
  • Primary Medical Expense & Emergency Medical Benefits
  • Emergency Medical Evacuation
  • Repatriation of Remains
  • Political Evacuations & Repatriation Benefit War Risk Coverage
  • Accidental Death and Dismemberment Benefit

It is recommended all employees and students traveling internationally sign up for the U. S. State Department's Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). This is a system utilized by the State Department to connect with the traveler, providing information should conditions change in the foreign location and assist you in an emergency. The traveler need only enroll once and then can update as trips are planned. 

FTIP premiums for all University-sponsored international travel are paid as an all-University insurance expense. However, the University does not cover the cost of non-employee travelers and instructions will be given on how to pay the cost at the Cashier's office. Non-employee travelers are also required to read and sign a Release of Liability. Please contact Safety & Risk Management for the proper Release document.

Updated: December 08, 2023