The School of the Arts & Department of Music presents
The Eighteenth Annual
Sylvia M. Ghiglieri
Saturday, February 21, 2015
for pianists ages 18 and under
The Sylvia M. Ghiglieri Piano Competition intends to recognize and promote the musical achievements and development of promising young pianists. Winners will be chosen based on performances held at California State University, Stanislaus, in Turlock, CA, USA on Saturday, February 21, 2015. The events of the competition will take place in the Music Building, located on the west side of the University campus at One University Circle.
Awards include a $2,500 college scholarship prize to the First Prize Winner of the Senior Division, along with nearly $1,000 total scholarship awards for competition winners to attend the CSU Stanislaus Summer Music Camp, held June 14-20 (grades 6-8) and June 21-27, 2015 (grades 9-12). The Summer Music Camp features distinct artistic instruction in solo piano and chamber music performance for pre-college pianists who will be taught by faculty and associates of the CSU Stanislaus Department of Music. The Summer Music Camp also offers instruction in choir, band, orchestra, and a variety of elective music classes.
Awards - All Divisions
All Award Winners All award winners are given the opportunity to perform in the end-of-competition Winners Recital in Snider Recital Hall.
Awards - Senior Division
First Prize Winner - automatic consideration for a scholarship award of up to $2500 (scholarship received upon actual enrollment), plus $250 Summer Music Camp Scholarship
Second Prize Winner - $200 Summer Music Camp Scholarship
Third Prize Winner - $150 Summer Music Camp Scholarship
Awards - Junior Division
First Prize Winner - $175 Summer Music Camp Scholarship
Second Prize Winner - $100 Summer Music Camp Scholarship
Third Prize Winner - $75 Summer Music Camp Scholarship
1. Participants shall enter the appropriate division based upon their age as of February 21, 2015:
- Junior Division: ages 12-15
- Senior Division: ages 16-18
- Previous First Prize Winners are not eligible to enter the same division in subsequent years.
2. Competition Repertoire and Guidelines
- Junior Division
Two pieces from contrasting style periods (eras). Time limit: 10 minutes.
- Senior Division:
Two pieces from contrasting style periods (eras). Time limit: 15 minutes.
All pieces must be performed from memory. Competitors should provide original scores for the adjudicators at the time of their performance (no photocopies allowed).
Examples of repertoire from contrasting style periods (eras):
- Baroque Era: A movement of a French suite, English suite, or Partita by Bach. A prelude and/or fugue from Bach’s Well-tempered Clavier. A sonata by Scarlatti.
- Classical Era: A movement from a sonata by Haydn, Mozart, or Beethoven.
- Romantic Era: An impromptu, nocturne, intermezzo, prelude, mazurka, etude, polonaise, scherzo, ballade, sonata movement, or other work by Schubert, Mendelssohn, Schumann, Chopin, Brahms, Liszt, Rachmaninoff, Grieg.
- Contemporary Era: A movement or work by Debussy, Ravel, Bartok, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Kabalevsky, Poulenc, Schoenberg, Gershwin.
3. Participants must submit the following application materials by February 13, 2015:
- Application Form
- Release of Liability (ROL) Form
- Application Fee (checks payable to “CSU Stanislaus Department of Music”)
Junior Division: $55
Senior Division: $65
Send all application materials to:
California State University, Stanislaus, Cashier’s Office
Ghiglieri Piano Competition
One University Circle
Turlock, CA 95382
4. Awards Details
All winners will receive scholarship awards to the CSU Stanislaus Summer Music Camp
Junior Music Camp, grades 6-8: June 14-20, 2015
Senior Music Camp, grades 9-12: June 21-27, 2015
The First Prize Winner of the Senior Division will automatically be considered for a college scholarship award of up to $2,500 to attend CSU Stanislaus as a piano performance major. (Scholarship awarded at time of actual University enrollment.) Should the First Prize Winner of the Senior Division choose not to accept a scholarship award offer, the adjudicators reserve the right to offer such to a qualifying Second or Third Prize Winner. Should the winner be a junior in high school, the scholarship offer may be held for up to one year through the time of actual University enrollment.
Adjudicators may elect not to award a prize in any given category should there be no qualified competitor to receive it. All decisions made by the adjudicators shall be final.
5. Competition Location
The competition is held at California State University, Stanislaus, One University Circle, Turlock, CA 95382, USA. Competition events will be held in the Music Building (M-6 on campus map) and the Winner’s Recital in the Bernell and Flora Snider Recital Hall (M-6A), both located on the northwestern side of the CSU Stanislaus University campus. Parking Lot 3 will provide the easiest access to this area.
Please consult campus map at https://www.csustan.edu/campus-maps
6. Additional Information
Additional questions may be directed to Dr. Sarah Chan, Director of the Sylvia M. Ghiglieri Piano Competition, at (209) 667-3429 or firstname.lastname@example.org.