The Sylvia M. Ghiglieri Piano Competition intends to recognize and promote the musical achievements and development of promising young pianists. Winners will be chosen based on performances held at California State University, Stanislaus, in Turlock, CA, USA on Saturday, February 18, 2017. The events of the competition will take place in the Music Building, located on the west side of the University campus at One University Circle.
Awards include consideration for a college scholarship of up to $2,500 (renewable annually over four years of collegiate study for a potential total of $10,000) to the First Prize Winner of the Senior Division, along with nearly $1,000 total scholarship awards for competition winners to attend the Stanislaus State Summer Music Camp. The Summer Music Camp features distinct artistic instruction in solo piano and chamber music performance for pre-college pianists who will be taught by faculty and associates of the Stanislaus State Department of Music. The Summer Music Camp also offers instruction in choir, band, orchestra, and a variety of elective music classes.
Awards - All Divisions
All Award Winners - All award winners are given the opportunity to perform in the end-of-competition Winners Recital in Snider Recital Hall.
Awards - Senior Division
First Prize Winner - 1) $300 Summer Music Camp scholarship, and 2) Automatic college scholarship award of up to $2,500 renewable annually for a total of up to $10,000 over four years of collegiate study at Stanislaus State; scholarship received upon actual enrollment at Stanislaus State. In order to receive the scholarship, the winner must be in their senior or junior year of high school and intend to enroll at Stanislaus State for piano performance studies. If winner is in the senior year of high school, he/she must have already applied in the fall of the current academic year, and be accepted into the University for subsequent academic year enrollment. If winner is in the junior year of high school, the college scholarship may be retained on condition that he/she apply for University admission in the fall of the subsequent academic year, and be accepted for University enrollment in the year following; winner must notify Dr. Sarah Chan of intent to apply for and enroll at Stanislaus State as soon as that decision is known.
Second Prize Winner - $250 Summer Music Camp Scholarship
Third Prize Winner - $200 Summer Music Camp Scholarship
Awards - Junior Division
First Prize Winner - $175 Summer Music Camp Scholarship
Second Prize Winner - $175 Summer Music Camp Scholarship
Third Prize Winner - $100 Summer Music Camp Scholarship
1. Participants shall enter the appropriate division based upon their age as of February 18, 2017:
- Junior Division: ages 12-15
- Senior Division: ages 16-18
- Previous First Prize Winners are not eligible to enter the same division in subsequent years.
2. Competition Repertoire and Guidelines
- Junior Division
Two pieces from contrasting style periods (eras). Time limit: 10 minutes.
- Senior Division:
Two pieces from contrasting style periods (eras). Time limit: 14 minutes.
All pieces must be performed from memory. Competitors must provide original scores for the adjudicators at the time of their performance (no photocopies).
Examples of repertoire from contrasting style periods (eras):
- Baroque Era: A movement of a French suite, English suite, or Partita by Bach. An invention, sinfonia, prelude and/or fugue from Bach’s Well-Tempered Clavier. A sonata by Scarlatti.
- Classical Era: A movement from a sonata by Haydn, Mozart, or Beethoven.
- Romantic Era: An impromptu, nocturne, intermezzo, prelude, mazurka, etude, polonaise, scherzo, ballade, sonata movement, or other work by Schubert, Mendelssohn, Schumann, Chopin, Brahms, Liszt, Rachmaninoff, Grieg.
- Contemporary Era: A movement or work by Debussy, Ravel, Bartok, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Kabalevsky, Poulenc, Schoenberg, Gershwin.
3. Participants must submit the following application materials by Wednesday, February 8, 2017:
A. Required Email Notification of Intent to Compete
Please send an email to email@example.com with the following information:
- Email subject heading: "Ghiglieri 2017 Application: (Name of Competitor / Division Category)
Email to include:
- Competitor's name, birthdate, grade in school, school name
- Competitor's parents' and teachers' contact information (name, phone, email).
- Date the paper application materials were mailed.
B. Required Mail-In Application Forms
- Application Form
- Release of Liability (ROL) Form
- Application Fee (checks payable to “Stanislaus State Department of Music”)
Junior Division: $55
Senior Division: $65
Send all application materials to:
California State University, Stanislaus, Cashier’s Office
Ghiglieri Piano Competition
One University Circle
Turlock, CA 95382
4. Awards Details
All winners receive scholarship awards to attend either the Junior Piano Camp (grades 6-8) or Senior Piano Camp (grades 9-12) of Summer Music at Stanislaus in the year they win. Awards applied upon actual enrollment. Winners planning on attending the University summer music camp must declare their intent by registering for camp no later than May 1, along with an email to Dr. Sarah Chan declaring such intent. Summer Music at Stanislaus is held in June; registration and information may be accessed at Summer Music page.
Should the First Prize Winner of the Senior Division be a senior in high school, he or she will additionally be automatically considered for a college scholarship award of up to $2,500 to attend Stanislaus State as a piano performance major. The college scholarship is awarded at time of actual University enrollment. Should the First Prize Winner of the Senior Division choose not to accept a scholarship award offer, the adjudicators reserve the right to offer such to a qualifying Second or Third Prize Winner.
Adjudicators may elect not to award a prize in any given category should there be no qualified competitor to receive it. All decisions made by the adjudicators shall be final.
5. Competition Location
The competition is held at California State University, Stanislaus, One University Circle, Turlock, CA 95382, USA. Competition events will be held in the Music Building (M-6 on campus map) and the Winner’s Recital in the Bernell and Flora Snider Recital Hall (M-6A), both located on the northwestern side of the Stanislaus State University campus. Parking Lot 3 will provide the easiest access to this area.
Please consult campus map.
6. Additional Information
Additional questions may be directed to Dr. Sarah Chan, Director of the Sylvia M. Ghiglieri Piano Competition, at (209) 667-3429 or firstname.lastname@example.org.