Admission to the music department involves a two-step process, 1) apply to the University and 2) music department audition. To apply for admission and enrollment in the Department of Music:
1. Apply for University Admissions.
- Visit the “Apply to Stan State” page on the University Undergraduate Admissions website.
- International students: visit the “International Admissions” page.
Even though the application due date for fall admission through the International Office of Admissions is May 31 of that year, potential music majors should apply to the University as early as possible (November of the prior year is the general University application deadline). Be sure to notify the Music Department at MusicRecruitment@csustan.edu about your intent to submit a video audition at least two weeks before the first posted audition date.
2. Schedule an audition.
Fill out the Audition Request Form to schedule an audition.
The Department of Music requires all incoming students to audition in their primary applied instrument or voice. In addition, technology and composition majors must submit a portfolio. This audition allows Music Department faculty members to assess entering students’ musicianship and performance ability, and to consider outstanding students for music scholarship awards. Music scholarships are awarded based on merit and program needs and will be available for entering freshmen (renewable for a total of four years) and transfer students (typically renewable for 2-3 years).
Auditions for the 2023-2024 academic year will take place in the Department of Music on Feb. 11, 2023, and Mar. 18, 2023 (see the Music Event Protocols). For those not able to come to campus for an in-person audition, a video submission of your audition will be accepted; see video audition requirements at the bottom of this page.
- Note: you must have applied to the University (and have admission status “accepted”, or “pending”) before you can audition
- Audition dates for the 2023-2024 academic year are:
- Saturday, February 11, 2023, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Saturday, March 18, 2023, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Earlier audition requests will be prioritized for acceptance notification and scholarship consideration. Audition Request Forms must be submitted at the same time as the audition materials.
Prepare for Your Audition
See the audition requirements below.
For further inquiries about auditions and degree programs, or to schedule a campus visit and tour, please contact the Music Department by email at MusicRecruitment@csustan.edu or phone at 209-667-3421.
For those not able to come to campus for an in-person audition, a video submission of your audition will be accepted.
Before sending video audition materials, follow these directions listed on the Entrance and Scholarship Audition page:
- Apply for University Admission
- Fill out the Audition Request Form
- Prepare your audition video submission according to the specific audition requirements (see above) pertaining to the intended major area of music studies.
How to submit your video:
- Videos should be uploaded to video-hosting websites (i.e., YouTube, Vimeo, Dropbox). Please make sure that your videos are of high quality. Physical copies of recordings (DVDs and VHS tapes) are not accepted.
- Refer to Audition Requirements for more details regarding area-specific instructions.
- Email the following information to MusicRecruitment@csustan.edu
- The weblink to your video
- Your personal information (full name, email address, phone number, voice/instrument, and intended program area of interest, if known)
- Complete titles and composer names for all musical selections performed
Updated: January 11, 2023