How to Help Yourself

While everyone responds to the trauma of sexual assault or attempted sexual assault differently, there are some common feelings victims may experience.

You may experience:

  • Changes in appetite (eating too much/too little, not feeling hungry, etc)
  • Changes in sleeping patterns, difficulty falling asleep, having nightmares
  • Feeling shocked, numb, or detached from reality
  • Feeling ill or nauseous
  • Having difficulty concentrating
  • Feeling dissociated from the event
  • Inability to remember details of the event
  • Withdrawal from family and friends
  • Discomfort with sex
  • Difficulty trusting others
  • Fear of being damaged or worthless
  • Feeling responsible for the attack
  • Feeling guilty, shameful, or embarrassed
  • Feeling moody
  • A lack of interest in things that once made you happy
  • Feeling anxious or jittery
  • Denying anything actually happened
  • Difficulties with interpersonal or romantic relationships
  • Decline in academic or work performance

If you have been sexually assaulted:

  • Go to a safe place. You may want to contact someone you know and trust to be with you.
  • Contact a resource. On campus, please call Campus Police (911 or 209-667-3114).
  • You always have the option of contacting an off-campus resource. The Haven Women's Center of Stanislaus hosts a 24-hr. hotline: 209-577-5980 or 888-454-2836.
  • Preserve evidence. Please do not shower, change clothes, douche or brush your teeth.  It is very important to preserve evidence for evidence collection, which provides proof of a criminal offense should you decide to press charges.
  • Seek medical treatment.  Above all, you need to take care of yourself.  You can go to the Student Health Center, or talk with the Title IX Coordinator or the University's Counseling Center to find locations where you can receive treatment for injuries and tests for pregnancy and/or STDs.

If you would like to make a report:

There are a couple of ways that you can make a report.

  • UPD: If you would like to make a report through the University Police Department, you can contact the department by calling 209-667-3114 or by going to UPD's office in the Campus Services Building. Even if the assault did not happen on campus, the university's police department can assist you with reporting to the appropriate law enforcement office.
  • Stanislaus Family Justice Center: If you would like to access the resources of the Stanislaus Family Justice Center, they can assist with a forensic medical examination, contacting the appropriate law enforcement office, counseling and safety planning.