Student Liability Insurance

What is the difference between the "Student Professional Liability Insurance Program" (SPLIP) and the "Student Academic Field Experience for Credit Liability Insurance Program" (SAFECLIP)?

The SPLIP covers CSU Stanislaus students enrolled in the health professional practicum or the education credential programs. These are the students participating in nursing and allied health and teaching or education fieldwork. SAFECLIP covers students performing community service or volunteer work for academic credit and/or students in radio, television or film academic programs.
Insurance underwriters determined that there were greater risks for students involved in internships in allied health and education fields than in the less defined service learning fieldwork.
Yes. A written placement agreement must be in place in order for this insurance protection to be in effect. The agreement for academic placement between the University and a host entity is essential to establish the educational objectives of the experience and to detail responsibilities should an assigned student be injured or be accused of causing injury to or damaging property of others. Once an agreement is in place, multiple placements will be facilitated.
CSU Stanislaus is billed by CSURMA (our self-insured CSU Risk Management Authority) based on the number of students in the programs. CSU Stanislaus covers this cost from a central fund.
Only students placed in internships for health and education are covered by the University's Worker's Compensation insurance program. Any claims from students in clinical training programs are processed the same as for a CSU Stanislaus employee. With respect to students in social work and other internships or service learning experiences, the protection for students is determined by the placement agreement which is processed through Purchasing. The University prefers that student(s) shall be considered employees of the host entity for the duration of the internship/service learning placement. However, following a risk identification and evaluation process, the University may elect to extend Worker's Compensation coverage under the agreement. It is not the intention of the University to prevent internship or service learning students from serving the community organization solely on not meeting minimum Workers' Compensation insurance requirements.
The insurance programs do not replace professional liability insurance a student may want or need for protection outside of the academic situation. They are different in that personal professional liability insurance does not protect the University or the host institution. It continues to be good risk management practice for students in nursing and allied health programs to maintain their own personal professional liability insurance because of the risks involved, demands of employers and unusual situations students may find themselves.
Contact Purchasing or the University Risk Manager for guidance.