Four semesters of supervised field practicum in a social work agency is part of the core curriculum. Field practicum is scheduled two full days a week. Students are expected to be in their placements during the agency's normal hours of operation. No credit is given for life experience or previous work experience. Field practicum is a central component of social work education. The practicum provides comprehensive supervised practice experience, which consolidates content presented in the classroom. The practicum provides students with the opportunity to apply foundation knowledge, skills, values and ethics, and practice skills to enhance the well being of people and ameliorate environmental conditions that adversely affect people. It is essential for professional development that social work students demonstrate knowledge, values and skills of social work practice within the context of the practicum. Practicum placements provide students with a range of learning assignments encompassing areas of social work practice. The practicum is a supervised experience affording students the opportunity to develop a range of professional practice skills and to evaluate the effectiveness of their interventions.
Field Practicum Fall 2016 - Spring 2017
- Field Practicum Calendar 2016-2017.pdf
- Field Practicum Manual.pdf
- MSW Field Practicum Release of Liability.pdf
- Record of Practicum Hours.xlsx
Learning Plan & Evaluation Forms
Foundation Students (1st Year)
Advanced Students (2nd Year)
- Title IV-E Child Welfare Stipend Recipients, additional competencies are part of the learning plan.
- CalSWEC Mental Health Stipend Recipients, additional competencies are part of the learning plan.
All students must complete 250 Agency Field hours, attend all seminars, and successfully complete the Learning Plan competencies to a receive a passing grade for SW5040 or SW5041.
|August 30||Field Practicum begins (16 hours per week)|
|September - October||Faculty Liaisons schedule agency visits to review placement learning plans with Field Instructors & students|
|November 24-25||Holiday No Field Practicum|
|December 19 - January 6||Winter Break No Field Practicum|
|January 17||Resume Practicum (16 hours per week)|
|March 20 - 24||Spring Break - No Field Practicum|
|May 4||Field Practicum ends|
- 30 Day Action Plan.pdf
- Agency Orientation Checklist.pdf
- Consent for Release of Information.pdf
- Critical Reflection Log.pdf
- Intern Supervision Notes.pdf
- Keeping a Journal.pdf
- Learning Plan Advisement.pdf
- Process Recording Outline.pdf
- Request for Change of Seminar.pdf