Four semesters of supervised field practicum in a social work agency are part of the core curriculum. Students are expected to be in their placements during the agency's normal hours of operation. No credit is given for life experience or previous work experience. Field practicum is a central component of social work education. The practicum provides a comprehensive supervised practice experience, which consolidates content presented in the classroom. The practicum provides students with the opportunity to apply foundation knowledge, skills, values and ethics, and practice skills to enhance the well being of people and ameliorate environmental conditions that adversely affect people. It is essential for professional development that social work students demonstrate knowledge, values and skills of social work practice within the context of the practicum. Practicum placements provide students with a range of learning assignments encompassing areas of social work practice. The practicum is a supervised experience affording students the opportunity to develop a range of professional practice skills and to evaluate the effectiveness of their interventions.
Students must complete 250 Agency Field hours per semester (500 hours for each academic year), attend all seminars, and successfully complete the Learning Plan competencies in order to receive a passing grade for SW5040 or SW5041. Students in the hybrid program complete 500 hours each summer. All students must complete a total of 1,000 field practicum hours.
Fall 2023 Field Educator Trainings
All new Field Instructors and Task Supervisors MUST attend one (1) field training. All field instructors should attend training every 3 years. With the implementation of our new field software system, CalState S4, we encourage all field educators to attend a training this summer or in Fall 2023. Trainings are free including CEUs. Each training session meets the qualifications for 4 hours of continuing education credit as required by the Board of Behavioral Sciences for MFTs and LCSWs. (Provider Number PCE784).
Basic Field Educator Training
- Wednesday, September 13th, 9am – 1 pm on the Turlock Campus, MSR 130C
- Wednesday, September 20th, 1PM – 5 PM being held via Zoom*
*Zoom training link will be provided with registration confirmation from the Field Education Office.
Questions? Email: MSWfield@csustan.edu.
For Printer-Friendly Version: MSW Field Educator Training.pdf
Frequently Asked Questions
General questions regarding the state-side field program can be emailed to email@example.com.
For Title IV-E field questions email Jenell Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org. The placement process for the Title IV-E Child Welfare Training Program is different than traditional non-IV-E placements based on grant requirements and other particulars.
Field Calendars & Forms
- Field Practicum Calendar 2023-24.pdf
- Record of Practicum Hours PDF fillable form.pdf
- Record of Practicum Hours MS Word.docx
Hybrid Field Calendar
Learning Plan & Evaluation Forms
Foundation Students (1st Year Placement)
- SW 5040 FOUNDATION Learning Plan & Evaluation.pdf
- SW 5040 Foundation Learning Plan & Evaluation.doc (MS Word)
Advanced Students (2nd Year Placement)
- SW 5041 ADVANCED Learning Plan & Evaluation.pdf
- SW 5041 Advanced Learning Plan & Evaluation.doc (MS Word)
Employment-based Field Placement
Interns requesting an employer placement must review the following guidelines:
Stateside Field Program
- Stateside Employer Placement Letter Guidelines.pdf
- Stateside Employer-Based Placement Form and MOU.pdf
Hybrid Field Program
- Hybrid Employer-Based Placement Form and MOU.pdf
- Hybrid Employer Placement Letter Guidelines.pdf
New Field Placement Agencies
Please complete the online Agency Field Placement Profile form.
- 30-Day Action Plan.pdf
- Agency Orientation Checklist.pdf
- Alternate Remote Learning Activities.pdf
- Consent for Release of Information.pdf
- Critical Reflection Log.pdf
- Intern Supervision Notes.pdf
- Keeping a Journal.pdf
- Learning Plan Advisement.pdf
- Process Recording Outline.pdf
- Suggested Learning Plan Activities.pdf
Updated: August 28, 2023