Exploring the world, the region, the people, and the environment...
Applied Geography Coursework
Students with an Applied Geography concentration complete classes in Geospatial Technology, Physical Geography, Human Geography, Human-Environmental Geography, and Regional Geography. This concentration prepares students for a wide-variety of careers including: GIS Analysts, Urban Planners, and Social Science Teachers. This concentration also prepares students interested in attending graduate school.
Geography majors are encouraged to bridge their academic preparation with future professional goals. We provide several opportunities for our students to expand their horizons.
- GEOG 4000 - Current Trends, a weekly symposium bring speakers to meet our students
- GEOG 4720 - Local Field Excursions, attend the California Geographical Society conference
- GEOG 4930 - Planning Issues, work with local planners
- GEOG 4940 - Internship, work with a local agency or company
- Study Abroad
Capstone & Inquiry
At the end of their undergraduate education, our majors complete three courses: quantitative methods, field methods, and geographic thought. These courses bring together their undergraduate experience and prepare students for their professional career and/or graduate school.
- GEOG 4710 - Field Methods (WP)
- GEOG 4800 - Survey of Geographic Thought & Literature
- GEOG 4810 - Quantitative Methods in Spatial Analysis
When earning their bachelors our graduates:
- Demonstrate skills in geospatial analysis and understand the interpretative capacity of geospatial technologies and their place in society.
- Demonstrate understanding of the earth's physical and environmental processes.
- Analyze the natural and human processes that affect society and the environment in specific regions and locales.
- Apply qualitative and quantitative methodologies to help our communities, monitor natural areas, plan sensible urban developments, and observe human trends.
- Examine the diversity of peoples, places, and environments within a specific region or around the world.
- Evaluate the theories and philosophies underlying geographical and environmental inquiry.
Updated: June 29, 2022