Medical Emergency

Injury & Illness

Injury and illness are the most common campus related emergencies. The University maintains a Health Center for students and access to a nearby Work Wellness Clinic for staff and faculty, injured or taken ill while on the job. Visitors to the University as well as any seriously injured student, staff, or faculty member may receive emergency treatment at any one of several local hospitals and ambulance services.

When to Call 9-1-1

  • Persistent or sudden chest pain
  • Breathing emergencies (choking etc)
  • Uncontrollable bleeding
  • Unconscious or altered level of consciousness
  • Life-threatening injuries, such as injuries from falling, severe head injuries, severe burn etc.
  • If you are in doubt about the seriousness always call 9-1-1

How to Help

  • CHECK the scene and assess the situation
  • CALL 9-1-1.
  • CARE with First-Aid (if you are trained and permission is granted by the injured).
  • Have someone direct Police and medical personnel to the scene.
  • Remain with the victim until emergency personnel arrive.