Property Management Overview


It is the policy of the California State University (CSU) that campuses implement methodologies for the recording, tracking, and safeguarding of university property (e.g., tangible, intangible, and gifts) and the sale and licensing of intellectual property. This policy is applicable to all California State University, Stanislaus units and its related auxiliary corporations. Property Control Policy: The President or designee will ensure the following:

  • Appropriate resources are allocated and responsibility assigned for proper receipting, recording, securing, tracking, and disposal of property.
  • Procedures are implemented for the timely recording of all property based on normal entry cycles. For example, equipment additions may be required to be recorded each month due to the high volume of transactions, whereas major capital improvements may be recorded annually.
  • Procedures are implemented for the timely disposal of all property based on normal entry cycles.
  • Procedures are implemented that require appropriate approval for the disposal of property.
  • Procedures are implemented for the evaluation, acceptance, and recording of gifts of property.
  • The University will evaluate and record all intangible assets in accordance with the applicable GASB statement requirements.
  • All regulations for property obtained from a federal or state grant are adhered to in accordance with the respective requirements such as Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Circular A-110 or related state regulations.
  • Campus personnel use the California State University (CSU) Capital Assets Guide as guidance for all property as it relates to capitalized costs, depreciation methods, impairment, and other such issues. The CSU Capital Assets Guide is updated annually to reflect evolving accounting and reporting requirements and is included the CSU GAAP Manual

Overview on Property Definitions (alphabetical)

Capital Property

Items with a unit cost of $5000.00 or more (inclusive of sales/use tax and freight) and a life expectancy of two years or more. Exception: If a department purchases a computer, monitor, and keyboard, all on the same purchase order, all three of these items will be capitalized if the aggregate cost is $5000.00 or more. However, if these items are purchased on separate purchase orders the capital property definition will apply to each item separately.

Fabricated Property

Property that is constructed by combining or assembling modular components and/or materials into one identifiable unit. The finished product must have a unit cost of $5000.00 or more and a life expectancy of two years or more. All materials regardless of cost will be capitalized.

Non-Capital Property:

Property with a unit cost of less than $5000.00, or a life expectancy of less than two years, that is in the instructional equipment related category.

Property Tags

Property tags are small, adhesive stickers that have printed with an identification number, a barcode, and a statement that the tagged item is Property of Stanislaus State. The tag is affixed to property and the barcode information is entered into a database. The database contains information on which department the tagged property has been assigned to and who the property custodian is.

Property Custodian

Each University department has assigned someone to be the property custodian for the department. That person is responsible for knowing the location of tagged property so that he/she can assist the Property Management when conducting a physical inventory. The custodian is responsible for preparing all Property Survey/Transfer Requests for transferring property to another department or to “surplus property”.

Tagged Property

University property is tagged if it had a purchase price of $500 or more. Some property may pose a special risk of loss due to its marketability, portability, or the information it may carry. Items that cost less than $500.00 that are considered sensitive, attractive, high risk or easily pilfered may be tagged regardless of cost. These items may include: Computers, IPADS, tablets, videocassette recorders, cameras, computer printers, power tools, firearms, musical instruments, etc. Such items may be tagged at the request of the using department or at the discretion the Property Management office.

Overview on Property Acquisition


University Property is purchased through the requisition process or with a PCard purchase. The item is received at the Shipping & Receiving office. If the item needs to be tagged (see Tagged Property above) the Property Tag (see description above) will be placed on the item. The property information and department to which it is delivered will entered into the Property Control Database.

Government/Contract/Grant Furnished Property

The Government often furnishes property to the University to perform specific contract requirements. This property can "ONLY" be used on the contract or grant it is intended for unless otherwise stated. Upon completion or termination, the Administrative Contracting Officer or Grants Officer of that particular agency, should provide written authorization to:

  • Transfer title to Stanislaus State.
  • Request disposition instructions from the Government agency.
  • Transfer property to a follow-on contract or grant.
  • Transfer property to another institution.

Note: These are possibilities the Government can exercise; however, the Government is not limited to these options. Government Furnished Property needs to be handled with extreme care. Accurate records need to be maintained as to the use, location, and maintenance of this property. The Government may schedule periodic audits of their property whenever they desire to fulfill contract requirements. Please notify Property Control when Government Furnished Property has been received.

Donated Property

Donated property must be processed through the University Advancement office. Should you receive donated property, please inform University Advancement to fill out a GIFT-IN KIND ACCEPTANCE FORM to be processed and routed to Property Control.

Personally Owned Property

Stanislaus State has no interest, nor accepts any responsibility for personal property if lost or stolen. It is recommended that your Department Head be provided with a listing of all personally owned property to avoid the possibility of it being mistaken for Stanislaus State property. Should there be confusion the proof of ownership will lie with the individual, not Stanislaus State. Marking personal property will also help for identification purposes.


Software is expensed except for major system purchases of software greater than $5,000.00 per package.

Overview on Property Control

Property Custodians

Each University department has assigned someone to be the property custodian for the department. That person is responsible for knowing the location of tagged property so that he/she can assist the Property Management when conducting a physical inventory. The custodian is responsible for preparing all Property Survey/Transfer Requests for transferring property to another department or to “surplus property”.

Physical Inventory

Property Management conducts inventories on a random two-year cycle. As departments are scheduled for inventory, Property Custodians for the departments located in the scheduled building or locations (per the property database) will be notified by letter of the inventory date. Once the inventory has been completed, the department will receive a report on what property is missing.

Missing Property

If during the physical inventory property cannot be located Property Management will prepare a Physical Inventory Discrepancy memo to the Property Custodian. The department will be given 14 days to locate the property that was "Not Found". If the department is still unable to locate the property, the department will note that the property is missing on a "Report of Missing Items Form". When Property Management receives the report they will forward it to the Stanislaus State Department of Public Safety (DPS) for investigation

Movement of Property

Property movement without following the property procedure will cause your department to be charged with “missing property” when Property Management conducts a physical inventory. Property movement or transfer to another department requires completing a Property Surplus/Transfer Report form.

Stolen Property

If the property is stolen from your department, you must notify the University Police immediately, and then notify Property Management. The Police will investigate and file a report on the nature of the loss.

Taking State Property Home

In order to take property off-campus for work-related tasks, the removal of property must be authorized by a Property Check Out Form.

Overview on Property Disposition

Department Procedure to Transfer to Surplus

If you have property that is not being utilized you should complete a Survey/Transfer Report form to arrange for the property to be sent to the surplus warehouse. Never trade, cannibalize, sell, or dispose of property purchased without approval from the Property Control Department.

Disposition of State Property by Property Management

Once property has been transferred out of departmental control, the Property Management office determines what will occur.

  • If the property is still usable it will be available to other university departments posted on the surplus property web page Virtual Exchange Reuse Center (VERC)
  • Offer to all other CSU campuses next IF the item is of major value (purchase price $50,000+) is not obsolete, and has a useful life left. The receiving campus would be responsible for all costs of transportation.
  • Offer donation by lot to local state-funded school districts.
  • Conduct a sealed bid sale, either by lot, or per item. Assets will be sold using Public Surplus online Auction Service
  • Offer to junk dealer.

If the property/equipment is not in working order it will be handled as follows:

  • Offer internally first
  • Offer donation by lot to local state-funded school districts
  • Recycle
  • Destroy and place in campus dumpsite

Prior to removal off-campus, all equipment must have the property tags removed or obliterated. Proceeds from any sales will be distributed as follows:

  1. All revenue received from sealed bid or auction web site will be taken to the University Cashier's Office where it will be recorded, deposited as miscellaneous revenue and remitted back to the custodial department.
  2. Support Services commission rates will vary based on the value of the asset being sold (See chart below)

    Support Services Commission Rates

    $0.01 $5,000.00 50%
    $5,000.01 $10,000.00 25%
    $10,000.01 and Above 20%
  3. Items up for auction will be stored and secured in the Shipping/Receiving Warehouse until sold or completion of auction.
  4. Auction items shall be posted on the Auction website for no longer than 7 days.
  5. Stanislaus State may collect sales tax, unless buyer has provided a valid tax-exempt certificate to Stanislaus State prior to payment.

Disposition of Computers (eWaste)

Computers and computer peripherals represent the largest amount of surplus property. When a department acquires new computers, the old computers are removed, stored, transferred, etc. OIT and the Property Management Office have developed a process to assist departments and to better control the location and disposition of surplus computer equipment. This new process puts the responsibility on OIT to determine if a computer can be reutilized or if it is to be disposed of as "junk". This will also allow for better record keeping regarding the location of all computer equipment on campus. How to move computers to surplus property

Overview on Surplus Property Virtual Exchange Reuse Center (VERC)

When departments have property (tagged items) that are not being utilized and they want it moved out of their department, they follow a process that causes it to become “surplus property”. Link to what is the process to move items to “surplus property” Listed surplus items are posted on the VERC by Stanislaus State employees or the University Property Management Department. Other departments can view pictures of available property and select items to be transferred to them.

Overview on Recycling Printer Toner Cartridges

Our campus goes through thousands of printer toner cartridges each year. Because these spent cartridges contain residual toner chemicals, they should not be thrown away in the regular waste stream. In an effort to provide a safe method for disposing of used toner cartridges, we are asking the campus community to follow the procedure below for removal from campus. These directions pertain to the toner cartridges from large printer/copiers, not the small ink cartridges for desk printers.

  • Remove the empty printer toner from the printer.
  • Remove new printer toner from the box and install in the printer;
  • Place empty printer toner cartridge into replacement cartridge box
  • Place box in the clearly marked "Used Toner Bin" located in copy centers and paper recycling areas throughout campus buildings.  Location "drop off points" for each major building are listed below. Do not leave the toners in the hallway or put in front of campus mailboxes.  If you do not have a new printer toner box available, you may put the toner cartridges in a different box. The empty toner must be in a box to avoid ink spillage onto the carpet, clothes, furniture, etc.

PLEASE NOTE: Facilities Custodial Services will NOT pick up any trash receptacles that contain unboxed toner cartridges.

Used toner bins will be emptied on a regular basis by Facilities Services, and used toner cartridges will be stored in the Receiving Warehouse.

Staples will then collect all boxes from the Receiving warehouse on a regular basis for recycling.

Recycle Cartridges Toner Drop Off Locations:

Building Location
Bizzini Hall B134C
Library Annex Library Receiving Area
MSR MSR 010 Mailroom/Stan Prints, MSR 120, MSR 270, MSR 360
Naraghi Hall of Science N 126A, N 324A
University Union Housing Suite 122 (during Student Center construction)  
Demergasso-Bava Hall DBH 149