A candidate for a bachelor's degree should submit an Application for Graduation when two semesters remain to complete requirements for the degree and when 90 units have been completed so that a graduation evaluation of credit can be provided prior to registration for the student's final term.

A candidate for a doctoral/master's degree should submit an Application for Graduation in the first two weeks of a term or, the first week of a summer session in which the work is to be completed.

A student who applies for graduation, but does not meet all degree requirements for the term requested, will be required to reapply for graduation for the term in which all requirements will be satisfied and pay a reapplication fee in order to be eligible for continued enrollment. 

Application Form

Apply Now

Filing deadlines for undergraduates.

Graduate school dates are available.

Term in which you complete your degree requirements Priority Deadline to receive Graduation Approval Form prior to last registration Fee for Graduation Application Form
Fall 2019 February 21, 2019 $60
Spring 2020 September 19, 2019 $60
Summer 2020 September 19, 2019 $60
Fall 2020 February 21, 2020 $60

To apply and begin the Graduation process, follow these steps:

Step 1:
Obtain Graduation Application Form online or in-person from the Enrollment Services Office located in the Mary Stuart Rogers building (MSR), Suite #120.

Step 2:
Once the form is completed, pay for the Graduation Application Form in Cashier Services located in MSR, Suite #100.

Step 3:
Submit Graduation Application Form to Enrollment Services located in MSR, Suite #120.

Step 4:
Once the Graduation Approval Form is submitted to Enrollment Services, an Evaluator will begin the evaluation process and create a Graduation Approval Form. You will receive the Graduation Approval Form in the mail, this process will take up to 8-10 weeks (this may take longer depending on the volume). If you do not receive your Graduation Approval Form in 8-10 weeks, please contact your evaluator.

Step 5:
Each student is required to obtain signatures from the appropriate faculty. When the Graduation Approval Form is received it will come with a sheet of instructions to ensure that each student completes the Graduation Approval Form correctly. When all signatures are obtained submit Graduation Application Form to the Academic Success Center located in MSR, Suite #210.

Step 6:
The clearing process will begin after final grades have been posted and will take 6-8 weeks.

Faculty Approval

Approval of the major adviser, department chair, and the Director of Academic Advising is required before the University may award a degree.

Graduation Honors

Graduation honors are awarded to students earning baccalaureate degrees at commencement on the basis of both their overall and Stanislaus State grade point averages achieved in their undergraduate work. Projected or estimated grade averages for degree candidates are excluded from grade point average calculations. Honors designation for Spring and Summer candidates in the Commencement program is based on grades earned by the end of Winter Term.  GPAs are not rounded up and exceptions are not made. To receive an honor, both averages must meet the standards as follows:

Cum Laude 3.40-3.59
Magna Cum Laude 3.60-3.79
Summa Cum Laude 3.80-4.0

Graduation FAQs

What is the difference between Graduation and Commencement?

  • Graduation is the conferral of a degree and the issuance of a diploma. A student graduates when he/she has filed an application for graduation and has fulfilled all the requirements for their degree. Students who have applied for graduation may participate in the Commencement ceremony, but this participation does not imply that they have graduated or that they have completed degree requirements. 
  • Commencement is the formal ceremony that is held each May to recognize and honor the achievements of degree candidates, graduates, and teaching credential recipients
  • Each Spring the commencement brochure includes students who graduated the previous Fall and applicants for the current Spring and Summer. If you do not fall into the above group your name will not appear in the commencement brochure.

What requirements must be fulfilled to earn a Bachelor's degree?

  • Refer to the University Catalog for the academic year in which you were admitted under BA requirements to your degree program for details regarding your particular major and unit requirements. No more than 70 units taken at a community college or another two-year college may be applied to this total.

Can I complete a minor or certificate along with my Bachelor's degree?

  • Yes. Notify your academic advisor to receive advisement and to complete a Declaration or Change of Degree Objective. You may submit this form to Enrollment Services prior to your graduation date to inform us of your intention to pursue a minor/certificate.
  • The award of a minor/certificate will be reflected on your transcript but not on your diploma. Your minor can only be awarded at the same time as your Bachelor's degree and not afterward.
  • If you have already applied to graduate and which to add a minor/concentration you must reapply to graduate.

Can I complete two majors simultaneously?

  • You may complete two major programs simultaneously, but both major programs must be completed by your graduation date. See the policy for multiple major and/or minors in the catalog.

Will I get separate diplomas for each major?

  • You will need to re-submit an Application for Graduation, along with processing fee, to the Cashier's office.  Registration in the term following the anticipated date of graduation is not permitted unless an Application for Graduation form and fee is received and processed by Enrollment Services.

What happens when I re-submit an Application for Graduation?

  • You will NOT receive a new Graduation Approval Form (unless you are changing your major, adding a concentration, or minor). Use the first form received when you filed your first application and obtain required signatures as normal.

Can I finish my degree through Open University/Extension?

  • Yes. However, this requires careful planning with your major advisor or evaluator.

When will my degree be posted?

  • Depending on the number of graduates this process can take up to 6-8 weeks after grades have been posted.

When will I receive my diploma?

  • Diplomas are ordered only after all graduates have cleared. We will send notice of the anticipated date diplomas will be mailed along with the verification of graduation letter.

What if I need proof of my degree?

  • Transcripts are the formal verification of degree(s) earned. You can obtain official transcripts online at, by mail, or in-person by submitting a Request for Transcript form to the Enrollment Services Center in the Mary Stuart Rogers building, Suite # MSR 120. Make sure to indicate on your request form "when degree is posted."

What happens if all degree requirements are not completed?

  • You will be notified by mail with a copy of your outstanding degree requirements.  You may need to change your graduation term and complete remaining requirements.

Can I attend classes after I graduate?

  • You can attend classes only if you have reapplied and have been admitted as a graduate student. Please see the graduate school regarding application deadlines and procedures.

Who do I contact if I have more questions or concerns regarding my degree requirements or the graduation process?

  • For degree requirements, you should contact your major department. If you have questions about the graduation process, contact the Enrollment Services office.