Agriculture Internship Course Description
Supervised work in an agriculture related agency or business, designed to emphasize technical and employability skill development, including construction of a professional portfolio. The experience will be under the joint supervision of the employer and faculty member. 45 hours total per unit of credit. May be repeated for a total of 8 units. Prerequisites: Junior or senior level agriculture major and consent of instructor.
Goal of the Internship
Students choose an agribusiness firm that most closely aligns with their personal career goal in agriculture. The Goal of the Internship is to immerse the student in real-world opportunities that develop relationships with an agricultural firm and people employed in a variety of agriculture careers.
How does the program work?
Internship positions are obtained in two ways:
- The student makes the initial contact with the industry firm, or
- The student accesses the list of internship possibilities in the Ag office
The company offers skill building employment and provides one performance evaluation.
The program advisor will make at least one job-site visit.
Student develops a Professional Portfolio and documents hours and skills developed. An oral presentation is required.
Visit the University Service Learning Office webpage to review the university guidelines for internships.
What are the advantages?
For Industry Partner:
- Strengthen the relationship with Stan State Ag
- Partnership in student education by providing interns with real world career experiences
- Obtain a first-hand look at a potential employee
- Take advantage of the creativity, motivation and skills of an undergraduate with agriculture background and passion
For Ag Student:
- Obtain real-world experience in a career setting
- An opportunity to explore career options and fields
- Develop industry standard skills and understanding about a potential career area
- Opportunity to prove oneself to a prospective future employer
How do I sign up?
Students: Enroll in AGST 4940 Ag Internship using the Special Registration form (available in the Ag office)
Industry Partner: Call the Ag office with information about the internship (position title, job description, salary, hours, start date, minimum and desired qualifications).
- Agriculture Internship Guide (MUST READ)
- University Policy for Student Internships (MUST READ)
- California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA)
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Internship Programs Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (MUST READ)
- List of past and current internship sites
- MOU Form For Paid Internships
- MOU Form For Unpaid Internships
- Internship Information form
- Student INTERNSHIP Agreement Waiver
- Site Supervisor Evaluation Form
For more information we encourage you to drop by our office:
Bizzini Hall Room C-108
California State University Stanislaus
One University Circle
Turlock, CA. 95382
Or contact us by phone or e-mail
Phone: (209) 667-3961