Agriculture Internship Course Description
Supervised work in an agriculture-related agency or business, designed to emphasize technical and employability skill development, including the construction of a professional portfolio. The experience will be under the joint supervision of the employer and faculty member. 45 hours total per unit of credit. May be repeated for a total of 8 units. Prerequisites: Junior or senior level agriculture major and consent of instructor.
Goal of the Internship
The Goal of the Internship is to immerse the student in real-world opportunities that develop relationships with an agricultural firm and people employed in a variety of agriculture careers. Students choose agribusiness firms that most closely align with their personal career goals in agriculture.
Internship positions are obtained in two ways:
- The student makes the initial contact with the industry firm, or
- The student accesses the list of internship possibilities in the Ag office
The company offers skill-building employment and provides one performance evaluation.
The program advisor will make at least one job-site visit.
The student develops a Professional Portfolio and documents hours and skills developed. An oral presentation is required.
Visit the University Service Learning Office webpage to review the university guidelines for internships.
For Industry Partner:
- Strengthen the relationship with Stan State Ag
- Partnership in student education by providing interns with real-world career experiences
- Obtain a first-hand look at a potential employee
- Take advantage of the creativity, motivation, and skills of an undergraduate with an agriculture background and passion
For Ag Student:
- Obtain real-world experience in a career setting
- An opportunity to explore career options and fields
- Develop industry-standard skills and understanding about a potential career area
- Opportunity to prove oneself to a prospective future employer
Students: Enroll in AGST 4940 Ag Internship using the Special Registration form (available in the Ag office)
Industry Partner: Call the Ag office with information about the internship (position title, job description, salary, hours, start date, minimum, and desired qualifications).
- CLS Nursery, CA
- Dave Wilson Nursery, CA
- Helena Agri-Entreprises
- Hilmar Cheese, CA
- Mid-Valley Agricultural Services Inc., CA
- Oakdale Ranch, CA - Husbandry
- Oakdale Ranch, CA - Poultry
- Oakdale Ranch, CA - Viticulture
- Pacific Coast Producers, CA
- Romero Ag Consulting Inc., CA
- Salida Ag, CA
- Stanislaus County Ag Commissioner's Office
- Federal Government (USDA Agencies etc.) - Use search box
- Valley Water Collaborative, CA
- Job vacancy - Ag Sales Development Manager
- Job vacancy - Transportation Support (Seasonal)
For more information we encourage you to drop by our office:
Bizzini Hall Room B-108
California State University Stanislaus
One University Circle
Turlock, CA. 95382
Or contact us by phone or e-mail:
Phone: (209) 667-3961
Updated: July 05, 2023