Discover what you can learn & where a physics/physical sciences major can take you.
Physics is an excellent choice for students interested in pursuing careers in science fields such as physics, astronomy, engineering, biophysics, environmental sciences, optical communications, as well as the medical, dental and pharmacy fields. Our small program offers its majors a strong sense of belonging: Friendly professors working with their doors open to students; an active chapter of the Society of Physics Students; and research teams led by physics faculty.
- The universe and how it works
- The physical world around us
- The workings of the solar system
- The workings of your car, phone or computer
- Basic understanding of the core areas in physics
- Classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and quantum mechanics
- Methods to solve physical problems
- Optics and optoelectronics
- Graduate studies
- UC Merced
- Turlock Irrigation District
- Merced Junior College
- Turlock High School
- Inventive Resources
- G3 Enterprises
- Cryomagnetics, Inc.
- Lane Powell PC
Degrees and Programs
- Bachelor of Arts in Physics
- Bachelor of Science in Physics
- Bachelor of Arts in Physical Sciences with concentrations in:
- Applied Physics,
- Earth & Space Sciences
- Environmental Sciences
- Those majoring in Liberal Studies can complete their concentration in Physics & Physical Sciences
- Minors available in:
- Physical Sciences
"Physics faculty are friendly and approachable. The strong communal atmosphere within the department fosters a perfect learning environment."