The Department of Music requires all incoming students to audition in their primary applied area (instrument or voice). This audition allows Music Department faculty members to assess entering students’ musicianship and performance ability, and to consider outstanding students for music scholarship awards. Music scholarships are awarded based upon merit and program needs, and are available for entering freshman (renewable for a total of four years) and transfer students (typically renewable for 2-3 years).
Please note: Auditions are in-person. Video auditions will be considered for students who live more than 250 miles away.
To apply for admission and enrollment in the Department of Music:
- Apply for University Admissions.
- Click on “I Want to Apply” in the left hand column.
- NOTE: If you are an international student, do not click “I Want to Apply”. Instead, scroll down and click on “International”, and then “Prospective Students”. Even though the application due date for Fall 2017 admission through the International Office of Admissions is May 31, 2017, potential music majors should apply to the University as early as possible (November 30, 2016 is the general University application deadline), and then notify the Music Recruitment Coordinator at MusicRecruitment@csustan.edu about intent to submit a video audition to the Music Department by February 25, 2017.
- Schedule an audition. Fill out the Audition Request Form to schedule an audition
- Note: you must have applied to the University (and have admission status “accepted”, or “pending”) before you can audition
- Audition dates for the 2017-2018 academic year are:
- Audition Request Forms must be submitted no later than two weeks before a scheduled audition day. Late applications will only be considered on a space-available basis.
- Once you submit your Audition Request Form, the music recruiter will contact you with an audition time and further information.
- Prepare for your audition. Audition requirements are listed here.
Please contact our Music Recruitment Coordinator, either by email or by phone (209-667-3844) regarding further questions about auditions, degree programs, or would like to schedule a campus visit and tour.