Admission to the music department involves a two-step process:
1. University Application
2. Music Department Audition
The Department of Music requires all incoming students to audition in their primary applied instrument or voice. In addition, technology and composition majors must submit a portfolio. This audition allows Music Department faculty members to assess entering students’ musicianship and performance ability, and to consider outstanding students for music scholarship awards. Music scholarships are awarded based upon merit and program needs and will be available for entering freshman (renewable for a total of four years) and transfer students (typically renewable for 2-3 years).
Auditions for the 2021-2022 academic year will take place through video submission only. Audition video submissions will be accepted during the entire months of January and March 2021. Click on video auditions for more information.
To apply for admission and enrollment in the Department of Music:
1. Apply for University Admissions.
- Click on “I Want to Apply” in the left-hand column.
- NOTE: If you are an international student, do not click “I Want to Apply”. Instead, scroll down and click on “International”, and then “Prospective Students”. Even though the application due date for Fall admission through the International Office of Admissions is May 31 of that year, potential music majors should apply to the University as early as possible (November of the prior year is the general University application deadline). Be sure to notify the Music Department at MusicRecruitment@csustan.edu about intent to submit a video audition at least two weeks before the first posted audition date.
2. Schedule an audition. Fill out the Audition Request Form to schedule an audition.
- Note: you must have applied to the University (and have admission status “accepted”, or “pending”) before you can audition
- Audition dates for the 2021-2022 academic year are:
- January 1-31, 2021
- March 1-31, 2021
- Earlier audition submissions will be prioritized for acceptance notification and scholarship consideration. Audition Request Forms must be submitted at the same time as that audition materials.
3. Prepare for your audition. Audition requirements are listed here.
For further inquiry about auditions and degree programs, or to schedule a campus visit and tour, please contact the Music Department by email (MusicRecruitment@csustan.edu) or phone (209-667-3421).