The new brochure applies to students with the catalog year beginning fall 2021. Returning students should contact their advisor if they have questions regarding if any changes affect them.
Advising Instructions for Course Selections and Mandatory Advising Process
Your mandatory advising hold needs to be released prior to registering for Spring 24 courses.
Sign up and attend a group advising session to get your hold released. See the instructions below on signing up for a group advising session.
This is a general guide and may not be exactly applicable to every student.
For CJ assistance, sign up for Mandatory Group Advising, and refer to our CJ Brochure and your Academic Requirements in your Portal. (Located in the STAN Degree Progress link in your Portal)
For GE assistance, refer to the Academic Success Center.
Not applicable for UEE students. Please contact your UEE advisor, Dr. Steve Wood if you have questions
All CJ students have Mandatory Advising Holds and Mandatory Advising is required for Spring 2024 registration.
Mandatory Group Advising Sessions
Fall 2023 for Spring 2024 Registration
- Criminal Legal Studies I: Tuesday, 10/10 11:00-12:00pm DBH 166
- Law Enforcement I: Wednesday, 10/11 1:30-2:30pm DBH 166
- Forensic Science I: Friday, 10/13 9:00-10:00am MSR 130
- Juvenile Justice I: Friday, 10/13 1:00-2:00pm B114
- Corrections I: Tuesday, 10/17 11:00-12:00pm B114
- Law Enforcement II: Tuesday, 10/17 3:30-4:30pm DBH 166
- Criminal Legal Studies II: Wednesday, 10/18 11:00-12:00pm SC 103
- Juvenile Justice II: Thursday, 10/19 12:00-1:00pm MSR 130
- Forensic Science II: Thursday, 10/19 1:00-2:00pm MSR 130
- Stockton: Monday, 10/23 12:00-1:00pm STK A1049C
- General Session I: Wednesday, 10/25 1:30-2:30pm DBH 166
- Corrections II: Friday, 10/27 10:00-11:00am B136
- General Session II: Tuesday, 10/31 3:30-4:30pm DBH 166
- Schedule an appointment online.
- Select Login on the top right corner
- If you don’t already have a profile, create New Profile using your CSUSTAN email and password, not through Facebook or Google. Use your FIRST AND LAST NAME when creating your profile.
- Select “Book Group Advising”
- Click on the group you will be attending.
- Under “Choose Organizer” select Monica Pope.
- Select the available time block. (There will only be one option).
- Enter your student ID#, select “I agree to the cancellation policy”, select “Book” to finalize and book your advising appointment.
- You should receive a confirmation email.
- Mark your calendar for the day and time and go to your appointment.
- Sign in on sign-up sheet at advising session to verify attendance and get hold removed.
Freshman / Sophomore
We assume you will pass your current prereq and advise you accordingly. If you fail 2250, 2255 or 2280, you may not move to the next course you must retake the one you failed.
- If you are currently enrolled in CJ 2250 you must take CJ 2255. Take it with either CJ 2270 or CJ 2450, whichever you still need. Take lower GE courses as needed to reach desired units.
- If you are currently enrolled in CJ 2255 you must take CJ 2280. Take it with any remaining Prereqs. Take lower GE courses as needed to reach desired units.
- If you are currently enrolled in CJ 2280 you are now eligible for Upper Division CJ courses. Take at least one Core Course in the Major and at least one of your Spring Concentration courses. Work towards completing your remaining Lower Division GE or take an Upper Division GE course if you will have 60 units by the end of the Fall 2023 semester.
- Forensic Science students who have not completed the forensics prereqs, make sure you do. CHEM 1100 should be a top priority (see brochure).
Junior / Senior
If you are currently enrolled in Upper Division CJ courses, keep taking your Core courses in the Major, your Spring Concentration courses, your Electives and your Upper Division GE courses. Apply for Graduation at the beginning of the semester before you are planning to graduate. Graduation Approval Forms will now be processed via email between you and Dr. Blake Randol.
As always, select your courses now and add them to your cart so you are ready to “finish enrolling” on your scheduled day and time to enroll. Enrollment days and times are shown in your portal.
Up to 12 units on first pass, then up to 18 on second pass. Waitlists are not available until the first day of your second pass.
CJ Courses that double count for GE or Multicultural
- CJ 2250 applies as a CJ Pre-Req and to Lower Division GE Area D2
- CJ 3315 applies as a CJ Elective and to the Multicultural Area
- CJ 4735 applies as a CJ Elective and to the Multicultural Area
- CJ 4915 applies as a CJ Elective and to Upper Division GE Area D
Incoming freshmen this semester and freshmen in 2255 do not need to see an advisor this semester. You can contact your advisor when you are in CJ 2280 and ready to move into upper division CJ courses. Please follow the instructions above for your course selections.
Students currently enrolled in CJ 2280, moving into upper division CJ in Spring 2024 who still have questions after following the instructions above, may email their advisor for assistance.
Incoming transfer students for Fall 2023 may email their advisor for assistance if they have questions after following the instructions above.
All other upper division students, please follow the instructions above and only reach out to your advisor if you still have questions after following the instructions.
Advisor emails are listed on the Faculty webpage. If you need to email your advisor and you do not have it written down from previous semesters or you are a new transfer student, you may email Monica Pope for your advisor's name. When I provide your advisor's name, please write it down and keep it for future reference.
CA Promise Advising Students
If you have not already done so, you will need to email your advisor for an individual advising appointment to get the CA Advising hold released in time for you to register.
Updated: October 11, 2023