The new brochure applies to students with the Catalog year beginning Fall 2021. Returning students should contact their advisor if they have questions regarding if any changes affect them.
View and Download Criminal Justice Brochure
Advising Instructions for Course Selections
This is a general guide and may not be exactly applicable to every student.
For CJ assistance, refer to our CJ Brochure and to your Academic Requirements in your Portal. (Located in the STAN Degree Progress link in your Portal)
For GE assistance, refer to the Academic Success Center
Not applicable to UEE students. Please contact your UEE advisor either Dr. Chau-Pu Chiang or Dr. Steve Wood if you have questions.
Link to the CJ Program Brochure
All CJ Mandatory Advising Holds have been removed and there is NOT Mandatory Advising required for Spring 2023 Registration.
Freshman / Sophomore
We assume you will pass your current prereq and advise you accordingly. If you fail 2250, 2255 or 2280, you may not move to the next course you must retake the one you failed.
- If you are currently enrolled in CJ 2250 you must take CJ 2255. Take it with either CJ 2270 or CJ 2450, whichever you still need. Take lower GE courses as needed to reach desired units.
- If you are currently enrolled in CJ 2255 you must take CJ 2280. Take it with any remaining Prereqs. Take lower GE courses as needed to reach desired units.
- If you are currently enrolled in CJ 2280 you are now eligible for Upper Division CJ courses. Take at least one Core Course in the Major and at least one of your Spring Concentration courses. Work towards completing your remaining Lower Division GE or take an Upper Division GE course if you will have 60 units by the end of the Fall 2022 semester.
- Forensic Science students who have not completed the forensics prereqs, make sure you do. CHEM 1100 should be a top priority, (see brochure).
Junior / Senior
- If you are currently enrolled in Upper Division CJ courses, keep taking your Core courses in the Major, your Spring Concentration courses, your Electives and your Upper Division GE courses. Apply for Graduation at the beginning of the semester before you are planning to graduate. Graduation Approval Forms will now be processed via email between you and your advisor.
As always, make sure you select your courses now and add them to your cart, so you are ready to “finish enrolling” on your scheduled day and time to enroll. Enrollment days and times are shown in your portal.
Up to 12 units on first pass, then up to 18 on second pass. Waitlists are not available until the first day of your second pass.
CJ Courses that double count for GE or Multicultural
- CJ 2250 applies as a CJ Pre-Req and to Lower Division GE Area D2
- CJ 3315 applies as a CJ Elective and to the Multicultural Area
- CJ 4735 applies as a CJ Elective and to the Multicultural Area
Incoming freshmen this semester and freshmen in 2255 do not need to see an advisor this semester. You will be able to contact your advisor when you are in CJ 2280 and ready to move into upper-division CJ courses. Please follow the instructions above for your course selections.
Students currently enrolled in CJ 2280, and moving into upper division CJ in Spring 2023 who still have questions after following the instructions above, may email their advisor for assistance.
Incoming transfer students may email their advisor for assistance if they have questions after following the instructions above.
All other upper-division students, please follow the instructions above and only reach out to your advisor if you still have questions after following the instructions.
Advisor emails are on our website. If you need to email your advisor and you do not have it written down from previous semesters or you are a new transfer student, you may email Monica Pope for your advisor's name. When I provide your advisor's name, please write it down and keep it for future reference.
CA Promise Advising Students
If you have not already done so, you will need to email your advisor for an individual advising appointment to get the CA Advising hold released in time for you to register.
Updated: October 07, 2022