Child Development is a diversified, multidisciplinary field. The main focus is on the changes in physical-motor, cognitive, language and social–emotional development of the child from birth to adolescence. Child development encompasses both the study of the scientific principles of development and the application of these principles to child education and welfare.
Where can our Child Development program take you?
Possible career paths include education and research, government policy and politics, the media, advertising, marketing, journalism, human resources, health care, non-profit administration, social work, criminology, law, and correctional services.
Degrees and Programs
- Bachelor of Arts in Child Development
- Bachelor of Arts in Child Development –Fast Track for students with AA or AS in Child Development
- Minor in Child Development
- Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies with a Concentration in Child Development
- Child Development Graduate Certificate
- Concentrations: Those majoring in Liberal Studies can complete their concentration in Child Development.
you might take
- Early Social and Emotional Development
- Early Cognitive Development
- Child Guidance and Management
- Early Childhood Development
- Infant Development and Group Care
- Developmental Assessment
- Early Intervention with High- Risk Children
- Developmental Programs for Preschool Children
- Development of Social Cognition
CDEV 4200 Multi-Contextual Aspects of Parenting and Families (WP)
Course provides an overview
of the theory and research examining how parenting and families, across contexts and cultures, influence development.
What you can learn
- Child development theories, developmental knowledge, contemporary issues, and the relationship between theory and research
- Information competency, locating and critically evaluating research, understanding research process including ethical issues related to doing research with children, understanding developmental research methods, and applying developmental research findings
- Legal, ethical and pragmatics issues related to work with children and families
- Child guidance skills and understanding of developmentally appropriate practices
What you can earn
- Preschool Teacher $34,000
- Child Care Center Director $39,000
- Child Welfare Specialist $74,000
Source: Indeed.com 2014, CA