The McNair Scholars Program is competitive and meeting the eligibility requirements does not guarantee admission. Scholars are selected based on the strength of their application and interview.
Stanislaus State undergraduate students from all majors are encouraged to apply if they meet the following requirements:
An applicant must:
- Demonstrate interest in obtaining a Masters or Ph.D. degree
- Be either:
- Income eligible based on taxable income (see federal guidelines) and a first-generation college student (a student whose parent(s) or guardian(s) did not receive a baccalaureate degree) or
- A member of a group underrepresented in graduate education (Black, Hispanic, American Indian, Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander)
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Be able to devote at least two years to the program
- Have completed at least 30 units
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least a 3.0
The program is designed to increase the number of participants earning academic doctoral degrees, therefore students interested in medical, legal, or other professional degrees (e.g. M.D., J.D., MBA) are not eligible for this program.