The McNair Scholars Program is competitive and meeting the eligibility requirements does not guarantee admission. Scholars are selected based on the strength of their application and interview.
Stanislaus State undergraduate students from all majors are encouraged to apply if they meet the following requirements:
An applicant must:
- Demonstrate interest in obtaining a Master's or Ph.D. degree
- Be either:
- Income eligible based on taxable income (see federal guidelines) and a first-generation college student (a student whose parent(s) or guardian(s) did not receive a baccalaureate degree) or
- A member of a group underrepresented in graduate education (Black, Hispanic, American Indian, Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander)
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Be able to devote at least three semesters and one summer to the program
- Be an undergraduate student at Stanislaus State
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
The program is designed to increase the number of participants earning academic doctoral degrees, therefore students interested in obtaining a teaching credential, medical, legal, or other professional degrees (e.g. M.D., J.D., MBA) are not eligible for this program.
Updated: July 27, 2023