What are major requirements?

The major consists of a list of prerequisites and a patter of upper-division courses which are prescribed by the department. Courses are exclusive of General Education requirements. For a list of major requirements, see your LIBS Major Information Sheet.

How do I select my courses?

We cannot stress this enough, simply follow your program checklist, select only the courses listed on the checklist. For general education requirements follow the General Education Curriculum mandated by the University. For a list of GE curriculum, see the University Catalog. For a list of Concentration requirements see an advisor or review requirements in the University Catalog.

Am I taking the right courses?

As long as it is listed either in General Education, LIBS Major Information Sheet, LIBS Subject Matter Advising Guide, or in your Concentration, yes!

Who is my major advisor?

We do not assign specific advisors - you are free to see any LIBS faculty available for advising.

How often should I seek advising?

The Liberal Studies Department has over 800 majors, we do not make advising mandatory. You see an advisor as often as you feel you need to.

What is Subject Matter Preparation?

Requirements required by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. All Liberal Studies Majors must complete an approved course in each of the subject matter areas. Subject Matter requirements are not necessarily additional courses, they may be met in General Education, in the major, or in additional coursework.

What is General Education Curriculum?

The purpose of general education is to provide a common educational experience for students, regardless of major field of study. The faculty are committed to ensuring that the general education program cultivates knowledge, skills, and values that are characteristic of a learned person. The general education program is organized into five subject areas of communication skills, natural sciences, and mathematics, humanities, social sciences, and individual resources for modern living. The general education program also includes required courses in history and government. The multicultural education requirement offers students course work which addresses multicultural/ethnic studies/gender/or nonwestern cultures issues.

For a list of GE curriculum, see the University Catalog.

What is a concentration? How do I select one?

A concentration is required for all LIBS majors. You must complete 18-22 units in an approved concentration. To select a concentration, complete the "Declaration or Change of Degree Objective" form. Forms are available at most academic departments, including the Liberal Studies Department and the Enrollment Services Office. Form is also available online at http://www.csustan.edu/admissions/forms_publications.html. Return your completed form to the Liberal Studies Department for the necessary signatures. The Liberal Studies Department will forward your form to Enrollment Services for processing. A copy of your file will be generated at that time (by Enrollment Services) and sent to your "new" concentration department.

Who is my concentration advisor?

There are over 20 concentrations available. Each concentration advisor handles advising differently. Please call your specific department for more information. Some require appointments, while others operate on a walk in basis.

How do I change my concentration or major?

Complete the "Declaration or Change of Degree Objective" form and return it to the Liberal Studies Department. If you are changing your major, Liberal Studies will forward your form along with your file to the department of your choice. Please allow 1-2 weeks for processing.

What are catalog rights?

Students have catalog rights to graduation requirements of the year in which they (1) first enter the CSU or a California Community College, or (2) transfer to CSU Stanislaus, or (3) graduate. Claim to these catalog rights is maintained through continuous enrollment in either a Fall or Spring semester of each calendar year. "Continuous enrollment" means attendance in at least one semester (or two quarters) each calendar year. Attendance in Summer term is not applicable to this regulation. Loss of catalog rights could result in additional courses being required for graduation. For more information please refer to the University Catalog.

When do I apply for graduation?

A prospective candidate for a baccalaureate degree should submit an application for graduation to the Enrollment Services Office when two semesters remain to complete requirements for the degree, or when a minimum of 90 has been earned toward completion of the degree. In any case, a student should not apply later than the date indicated in the academic calendar. Students who fail to graduate in the term for which they apply for graduation must reapply for a later term in order to be eligible for continuing undergraduate enrollment. A prospective candidate for a baccalaureate degree must apply at the Enrollment Services Office for re-admission and be admitted for a new educational objective before April or October to qualify respectively for fall or spring Priority Registration.

When do I apply to the Credential Program?

Applications are submitted about six months prior to the semester in which the student plans to enroll. For Fall semester, the program begins accepting applications the last Monday in February and for Spring semester the last Monday in September. Exact dates are noted in the cover of the Handbook or the student may contact the Department of Teacher Education, http://www.csustan.edu/TeacherEd/ for information on timelines.