Mission: The Liberal Studies Department is committed to the preparation of pre-service elementary teachers who are competent in subject matter areas, capable of integrating knowledge across discipline boundaries, culturally sensitive to diverse learners, effective communicators, sound critical thinkers, and skilled in educational technology.
Student Learning Outcomes
Liberal Studies graduates:
- Make explicit connections between California TK-8 Content Standards and subject matter knowledge in Liberal Studies major coursework.
- Demonstrate understanding of a variety of teaching strategies grounded in theory, including (but not limited to) use of technology, cross-discipline connections, and other student-centered techniques.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to the diverse cultural, linguistics, and learning abilities of students.
- Demonstrate effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills in a variety of communication contexts.
- Reflect thoughtfully on and critically examine current education practices and systems, through fieldwork experience activities in TK-8 classrooms and course work.
Updated: July 21, 2022