Two-Step Process

To be admitted to a graduate program, individuals must first apply to the University as a graduate student, then apply to the graduate program* of their choice. There is a non-refundable application fee.

1 University Application via

Step 1 - Apply to the University as a Graduate Student

The first step is applying to the University through Cal State Apply.

  • A 2.5 GPA in the last 60 units of coursework is required for admission to the Graduate School. Please note that individual program requirements may be more stringent.
  • A Bachelor's Degree from a regionally accredited university is required for admission. While it is common for students to apply before a bachelor's degree has been posted on his/her transcript, a final transcript indicating date of degree completion is required prior to the 20th day of instruction.
  • If you are an international student, please visit the Office of International Education.
  • In order to process your application, submit one official transcript from EACH institution you have attended or are attending, including those from community colleges attended. **Stan State Alumni, who have not attended elsewhere since graduation, do not need to submit new transcripts.
    Send official transcripts to:
    Stanislaus State
    Graduate School
    One University Circle
    Turlock, CA 95382
2 Program Application

Step 2 - Apply to a Graduate Program

The second step is applying to the graduate program of your choice. Some programs only require the Cal State Apply application.

  • Each graduate program has unique requirements and application processes. For more information, including program application questions contact the program directly.
  • The graduate program you applied to will notify you of your acceptance. Admission to the University is contingent upon receiving admission to the program.

All students with coursework from countries other than the United States need to provide a report of course work and degree equivalency to U.S. standards – through a credential evaluation.

Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by one of the approved organizations. These organizations are private enterprises that have been approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing and they charge a fee for their services. In all instances, original, official documentation will be required when requesting an evaluation.

Updated: September 20, 2023