The Art Department promotes the creation and historical understanding of art and design by offering curriculum that exposes students to a diverse range of art-making processes and a broad spectrum of artistic and intellectual models taught by an energetic faculty of practicing artists and scholars. In addition to the following programs, students may look into Liberal Studies Concentration in Art.
Discover what you can learn and where an art major can take you.
Art students gain exposure to a broad spectrum of interconnected approaches to the making of art and the critical appreciation of art. Our faculty members are dedicated professional artists and scholars who bring a diverse range of experience and expertise to the classroom. Students benefit from close interaction and mentoring. The visual arts program is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design.
Degrees & Programs
- Bachelor of Arts, Art
- Art History
- Art Studio
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, Art with concentrations available in:
- Video and Time-based Media
- Graphic Arts
- Mixed Subject
- Minors available in Art or Art History
- Subject Matter Preparation Program in Art for future art teachers
- Those majoring in Liberal Studies can complete their concentration in Art
- Being creative
- Expressing ideas
- Bronze casting
- Oil painting
- Life Drawing
- Game design
- Technical, expressive and conceptual approaches to drawing, painting, printmaking, sculpture and new media Appreciation of
- GO important cultures, movements, periods and individuals in art history
- Gallery management and exhibition design
- Teaching or art consulting
- Graphic design
- Photography and photo/ video journalism
- Teach at high schools and colleges throughout California and the United States
- Design and advertising agencies in such places as San Francisco and Los Angeles, as well as, locally at Never Boring Design or Martino Graphics
- Museum and gallery careers at such places as the Seattle Art Museum and locally at the Carnegie Arts Center
- Photo/video journalism consulting for Gannett Co., Inc., or The McClatchy Company
- Artists represented by galleries in such places as San Francisco and New York
Accreditation is a voluntary quality assurance process that assists institutions in developing and maintaining the highest educational standards. Since 1963, Stanislaus State has been accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). In addition, each of the colleges has earned accreditation for their individual programs.
The art program is accredited by the National Association of School of Art & Design.
Updated: March 25, 2022