Dependent Information

Chapter 35 Dependents Educational Assistance Program

  • Spouse, Son, or Daughter of a veteran who is connected to a service disability
  • Missing in Action
  • Died in Service

College Fee Waiver Program for Veteran Dependents

The dependent child, spouse or unmarried surviving spouse of a service-connected disabled or deceased veteran may be entitled to tuition and fee waiver benefits at any campus of the California State University system, University of California or a California Community College. NOTE: This benefit covers only state mandated fees. There are additional mandatory university fees that you must pay each time you register. Contact the Veterans Affairs Office located MSR 120, or call (209) 667-3081.


To be eligible, students must
Meet California residency requirements according to the school they will be attending. The colleges will make the final residency determinations.


Meet the requirements of at least one of the following plans:

PLAN A: The spouse, child or unmarried surviving spouse or registered domestic partner (RDP) of a veteran who is totally service-connected disabled (100%) or who has died of service-related causes, may qualify. The veteran must have served during a “qualifying war period.” This program has no income limit. A child must be under 27 years of age to receive the fee waiver benefit. The age limit is extended to 30 years of age if the child is a veteran. There are no age limits for a spouse, surviving spouse or RDP. *NOTE: Under Plan A, a dependent cannot receive this benefit if they are receiving Chapter 35 (DEA) VA benefits


PLAN B: The child (no age limit) of a veteran who has a service-connected disability (0% or greater) or had a service-connected disability at the time of death, or who died of service-related causes, may qualify. The child’s income, to include parental support, cannot exceed $12,119 per year. *NOTE: This figure changes annually. Check this page periodically for the updated figure.

How to Apply

  • A Form DVS40 must be fully completed, signed by the student and the veteran or parent, and all questions must be answered. If a question does not apply, write "N/A" (not applicable).
  • A child applying under PLAN B must submit either a copy of their federal income tax form 1040 or state income tax form 540 from "Last Year," or if a child does not have a copy of their income tax or did not file a return, they must submit a statement from the Internal Revenue Service or the Franchise Tax Board which must verify the amount of adjusted gross income or the fact that a return was not filed. The Franchise Tax Board can be contacted at, 1-800-852-5711. *NOTE: Current academic year entitlement is based upon last year’s adjusted gross income and value of support. For example, if applying for benefits for academic year 2009-2010, the total amount of your reported adjusted gross income and value of support from calendar year 2008 will be used to determine eligibility.
  • Contact the County Veterans Service Office for the county in which you live for additional supporting documents, if necessary, and for information regarding where to submit your application. Please note that the Veterans Affairs Office at Stanislaus State (or such centers at the other college systems mentioned) is not the approving authority for this benefit.

When to Apply

Always try to apply for this benefit prior to the beginning of the academic year in which you plan to attend. This benefit is awarded every academic year, and students are required to renew their application each year to continue receiving this benefit.

*NOTE: At Stanislaus State, an academic year begins with fall semester and ends with the last day of the summer term the following calendar year. For example, a current 2011-2012 fee waiver award will apply for the Fall '11 and Spring ’12. The fee waiver, however, does not apply for Winter or Summer sessions.

Once your application has been approved, please verify that a copy of your authorization letter has been received by the Veterans Affairs Office.