- Completion of at least 30 units of required or approved coursework.
- A G.P.A. of at least 3.0.
- A passing score on the qualifying exam (taken after the second semester of enrollment).
- Completion and oral defense of a thesis.
Required Core Courses (14 units)
- BIOL 5010: Advanced Writing in Biological Science (4 units).
- BIOL 5500: Research Design and Data Analysis for Biologists (4 units).
- BIOL 5941: Directed Research (2 units; repeated for a total of 4 units).
- BIOL 5961: Graduate Seminar in Biological Sciences (1 unit; repeated for a total of 2 units).
Elective Courses (10 units)
- Any 5000-level course (including BIOL 5961 for an additional 1 unit).
- Any 4000-level BIOL, ZOOL, BOTY, ENTO or MBIO course as approved by the advisor and committee.
Culminating Experience (6 units)*
- BIOL 5990 - Thesis (3) (must be repeated for a total of 6 units).
*Before enrolling for thesis units, the student must have a thesis proposal approved by their committee and advance to candidacy by passing their oral qualifying exam.
**Students who have completed their coursework, including thesis units, but are working on their thesis, are encouraged to maintain continuous enrollment by signing up for BIOL 7005: Continuing Thesis.