Discover what you can learn and where an art major can take you.
Gender studies provides an interdisciplinary, liberal arts education that examines how ideologies regarding sex, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity and expression are infused in institutions, political and cultural practices, scientific and technological advancement, artistic expressions, belief systems, and work and social environments. The major emphasizes theory and research, historical and contemporary experiences, applied learning and multiethnic and transnational understanding.
- Sex, gender, and sexuality
- Social Justice
- Social Movements
- Transnational Issues
- Cultural Production
- Helping People
- Obtain strong critical thinking and communication skills
- Work as part of diverse teams
- Develop strategies to promote social justice
- Apply learning through research and civic engagement projects
- Gender studies provides students with an interdisciplinary, liberal arts education that will support them in a wide range of careers and enhance their ability to participate in diverse communities.
- K-12 classrooms
- Colleges and universities
- U.S. Army National Guard
- Haven Women’s Center
- Planned Parenthood
- Non-profit organizations
- Many of our students go on to graduate school
Degrees and Programs
- Bachelor of Arts, Gender Studies, with concentrations in History, Society and Inequality; Culture, Ideology and Representation; and Ethnicity, Nationality, and Sexuality
- Those majoring in Social Sciences can complete their concentration in Gender Studies
- Minor in Gender Studies
Many of the gender studies courses are offered online. Students may complete the major and minor via online courses or in a hybrid format that includes courses offered online and face- to-face. Is online learning right for you? Take this self-assessment to learn more
"It is my aim to educate the general public, as well as provide a safe space for those in marginalized or subordinated positions. "
Gender Studies Alumna