Library Grand Staircase Mural
CAMPUS OPEN FORUMS
The 3B Collective has been selected as the successful artists for the interior Grand Staircase mural project in the renovated Vasché Library Building. The University Committee for Public Art hosted the campus community open forum session to provide feedback on the final design Friday, May 14, 2021, 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Oscar Magallanes, Alfredo Diaz & Aaron Estrada - Collaboration with 3B Collective
Please use the link below to provide feedback by Wednesday, May 26, 2021
The University Committee for Public Art meets at least once each semester to consider proposals. This call is for an interior Grand Staircase mural proposal in the renovated Vasché Library Building. The mural is projected to be on the south wall in the Library lobby near the staircase and approximately 805 square feet in size. The estimated budget for the mural is $25,000.
The interior theme of the Library will be a celebration of our region’s agricultural roots. The Grand Staircase mural should reflect that theme through the unique landscape of the San Joaquin Valley’s farmland. Proposals should demonstrate the wealth of the region’s natural resources as well as the diversity of agricultural production.
Independent artists specializing in two-dimensional mediums may choose to submit proposals for consideration. Artists may submit letters of interest and qualifications, along with images or project renderings, to be considered for installation. Artists are encouraged to submit work that complements the University’s architecture and supports its mission.
Please include the following materials as one PDF in your electronic submission:
- CV/Resume with abbreviated CV with project-related relevant information (two pages, maximum).
- Letter of Interest (one page, maximum). Address the project description, materials, and their durability. Include an explanation of maintenance requirements. Provide details of how the proposed work fits within the architecture and the function of the space, and how it responds to the mission/theme of our Valley’s agricultural landscape.
- Artist’s Statement (one page, maximum).
- Images and/or sketch/digital renderings of your project with actual dimensions indicated and plans for placement.
- Timeline of your project (one page, maximum).
- Budget of project estimate to include: artists fees, cost of fabrication or materials, the projected cost of installation (including equipment rental and assistants if needed), projected maintenance costs, and any additional projected costs including lighting, utility relocation, etc. (one page, maximum).
- Examples of past work, including up to ten digital images or links to examples of relevant work. Please include the title, date, dimensions, and location of the work (for public art examples).
- Contact information for two professional references.
- Contact information for the applicant, including phone number, email address, and mailing address.
Deadline: August 21, 2020
Call for Proposal Form Closed
Library Project History
The Vasché Library Building at Stanislaus State is currently under complete renovation. When opening in fall 2021, the goals of the newly renovated Library will be to give students and visitors a memorable library experience that celebrates the Library collection and services, student population, and the agricultural region in which we reside. The Library will contain a welcoming environment that is accessible, comfortable (nurturing), and supportive to all Stanislaus State students. The renovated Library will foster scholarship support and enhanced learning for student success and include a state-of-the-art learning environment and technology hub that can grow with the evolving needs of the University.