The Great Valley Writing Project is funded through the California Writing Project, an entity of the California Subject Matter Projects, and the National Writing Project. The writing project focuses the knowledge, expertise, and leadership of educators on sustained efforts to improve writing and learning for all learners. GVWP provides Professional Development for schools and districts, Inquiry Groups, Family Literacy Programs, and Young Writers' Programs. The GVWP serves Calaveras, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, and Tuolumne counties.
At the center of every program are the goals of the writing project. These goals are to:
- improve the learning and achievement of students by improving the teaching of writing.
- serve teachers, students, schools, and districts through a model of university/school collaboration
- concentrate efforts where literacy is most in jeopardy
- honor the diversity of teachers and students
- emphasize approaches to writing and reading for English language learners
- support teachers as they prepare students to meet state standards
- recognize that teachers are the key to educational reform and that experienced teachers are the best teachers of other teachers
- identify and continually offer a range of teaching and learning strategies so that no child will be excluded.
Updated: May 12, 2023