Statement on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Social Justice
California State University, Stanislaus is a collegiate community that serves a diverse population of students, faculty, staff, and administration. These facets of diversity encompass but are not limited to: race, ethnicity, nationality, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, creed, religion, age, social class, socio-economic status, physical and cognitive differences, political views, and veteran status. The University is intent on engaging with all of its community members in meaningful ways that support the values and strengths that each individual brings to this campus. In building a community inclusive of everyone, more than recognition, tolerance, acceptance, and celebration are required; Stanislaus State also strives to teach, incorporate, mediate, and promote issues of diversity that go beyond the surface.
The ways in which the University actively embodies diversity include:
- Offering courses that are centered on or incorporate material for our diverse student, faculty, and staff populations, as well as educating us about one another.
- Recruiting and hiring administrators, faculty, staff, and students to create a diverse campus community through employment practices and faculty/staff development opportunities.
- Recruiting and hiring faculty who are passionate about and committed to (l) sharing, as appropriate, course materials reflective of underrepresented histories and cultural issues; (2) participating in discussions related to these matters in the classroom on a regular, rather than occasional, basis; (3) honoring the complex diversity of this region; and/or (4) engaging colleagues and students in teaching and learning that promotes dialogue, critical reflection, and action focused on human dignity and worth.
- Encouraging, organizing, funding, and promoting workshops, training, clubs, lectures, forums, orientations, and other events that allow our community of students, administrators, staff, and faculty to come together to learn about and support one another and discuss experiences, understandings, and values en masse.
- Assembling services, activities, and committees that continually gauge the ways in which diversity is honored and promoted on campus and in neighboring communities.
- Offering targeted methods of outreach toward the recruitment, retention, and graduation of a diverse student body.
- Understanding that creating an inclusive community is an ongoing project, thus always requiring reassessment.
Through these various strategies, California State University, Stanislaus seeks to do more than merely acknowledge its invaluable members and local constituents. We wish also consistently to demonstrate equity in status, rights, and opportunities through the establishment of purposeful conversations that inspire our students to reach out to each other and beyond. This thread of respect should also resonate through the attitudes of campus administrators, students, staff, and faculty. The University believes this type of environment will continue to attract and retain a socially-just image of what we represent and who we are.
Updated: June 26, 2023