Mild/Moderate and Moderate/Severe Disabilities
California State University, Stanislaus is authorized to recommend individuals for Preliminary Education Specialist Credentials in two areas: Mild/Moderate Disabilities and Moderate/Severe Disabilities. The Preliminary programs prepare individuals to perform responsibilities of entry-level special education teachers. It is recommended that undergraduates seeking admission to the Preliminary Education Specialist Credential enroll in the Liberal Studies major with a concentration in Exceptional Children and Youth.
This is a preliminary credential offered through the Department of Teacher Education. A prerequisite teaching credential, Multiple or Single Subject is not required to obtain the Preliminary Education Specialist Credential.
Preliminary Education Specialist Credential
Prior to admission, students must do the following:
- Be admitted to the University as an undergraduate or post baccalaureate student.
- Complete an application packet for admission to the Preliminary Education Specialist Credential Program. Refer to the packet for application deadlines, admission criteria during the year of application and acceptance, and any additional requirements.
- Complete an upper-division writing course (listed as WP in the catalog) or pass an equivalent test or submit a verifiable score of 41 or higher on the writing portion of the CBEST.
- Complete PSCI 1201 American Government or an equivalent course that fulfills the U.S. Constitution requirement.
- CCTC Certificate of Clearance - Livescan with the application to the program.
- Submit Verification of Early Field Experience. All candidates must complete 45 hours of documented field experience in K-12 classrooms.
In order to be recommended by CSU Stanislaus for the Preliminary Education Specialist Credential, students must:
- Complete all Preliminary Credential program requirements with a minimum GPA of 3.0; no grade lower than"C" in any course.
- Provide verification of baccalaureate degree.
- Submit a passing score on the Reading Instruction Competency Assessment (RICA).
- Demonstrate satisfactory performance on exit interview or examination.
Preliminary Education Specialist Credential Program Requirements
The following is a sequence of steps to obtain a Preliminary Education Specialist Credential: Mild/Moderate or Moderate/Severe Disabilities. Admission forms and a full description of the documentation and coursework requirements are included in the Preliminary Education Specialist Credential Handbook.
Note: The requirements listed in steps 1 and 2 must be met before an individual can be admitted to the Special Education Credential Program.
- Meet the basic skills requirements. The requirements can be met through one of the following ways:
- Pass 3 sections of CBEST
- Pass CSET Writing Skills
- Pass CSU Early Assessment Program (English and Mathematics Sections) or CSU Placement Examination (English and Mathematics)
- Pass Basic Skills Examination form another state
- Pass the following Prerequisite courses with a minimum GPA of 3.0; no grade below "C".
|Course Number||Course Name||Units|
|OR||PSYC/CDEV 3140||Human Development I||3|
|PSYC 3240||Human Development II: Adolescence||3|
|EDSE 4310||Introduction to Special Education||3|
- Submit a completed application to Credential Services, DBH 303.
- Complete the following courses with a minimum GPA of 3.0 with no grade below a "C."
|Course Number||Course Name||Units|
|EDMS 4150||Methods of Multilingual Education||
|OR||EDUC 4400||Intro and Foundations of Multilingual Education||3|
|OR||EDSC 4110||Multilingual Education for Sec Schools||3|
|EDSE 4330||Communications & Social Skills||3|
|EDSE 4750||Applied Behavior Analysis in the Classroom||3|
|EDSE 4550||Practicum with Exceptional Children||3|
|EDSE 4560||Theory of Instructional Design||3|
|EDSE 4110||Reading & Language Arts: General||2|
|EDSE 4210||Reading & Language Arts: Special Education||3|
|EDSE 4430||Assessment in Special Education||3|
|EDSE 4410||Consultation and Collaboration||3|
IF you are seeking the Mild/Moderate Credential:
|EDSE 4450||Teaching Students Mild/Moderate||
IF you are seeking the Moderate/Severe Credential:
|EDSE 4440||Teaching Students Moderate/Severe||
- Demonstrate the following Subject Matter Competence:
- Elementary Level: CSET Multiple Subject
- Middle and Secondary Level: CSET single subject exam or verification of subject matter preparation program.
- Enroll in credential specific student teaching a semester prior to the term in which you plan to enroll.
- Enroll in credential specific student teaching, only if all courses have been completed.
Mild/Moderate Disabilities Moderate/Severe Disabilities *EDSE 4815 St. Tchng: M/M 3+3 *EDSE 4816 St. Tchng: M/S 3+3
* Enroll in EDSE 4815 or 4816 two times in a single term
- Participate in an exit interview or examination.
- Pass RICA (Reading Instruction Competence Assessment.)
- Apply for the Preliminary Education Specialist Credential with Credential Services in DBH 303.