CSU Accessibility Requirement
California Government Code 11135 requires the CSU to comply with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, and to apply the accessibility standards published by the U.S. Access Board for Electronic & Information Technology (EIT), also described as Information & Communication Technology (ICT), products and services that it buys, creates, uses and maintains.
EIT is information technology (IT) and any equipment or interconnected system or subsystem of equipment, that is used in the creation, conversion, or duplication of data or information. EIT includes:
- telecommunication products, such as telephones
- information kiosks
- transaction machines
- web sites and web applications
- software and operating Systems
- multimedia (including videotapes)
- office equipment, such as copiers and fax machines.
If you are developing or purchasing electronic or technology-based instructional products please make sure that they meet the Section 508 technical accessibility standards. This applies to all Electronic & Information Technology (EIT), with a primary focus on high impact items. Learn more about the goals outlined for Procurement in Coded Memorandum AA-2013-03.
Please obtain information from the vendor on how the product meets accessibility requirements. If an accessible IT product or service is not commercially available, or if an exception to the requirement applies, please document how you will implement an equally effective alternative method of instruction if a student with a disability enrolls in the class, in coordination with Services to Students with Disabilities.
The CSU Chancellor's ATI Procurement website has complete information on E&IT procurement guidelines. Additional information is available at the CSU's Professional Development for Accessible Technology Purchasing site.
- CSU Accessible E&IT Procurement Documentation and Guidance
- CSU Guide to Completing the Voluntary Product Evaluation Template (VPAT)
- Information to Vendors - CSU Accessibility Requirement
- NEW - Section 508 Procurement Checklist Form
- NEW - Section 508 Exemption Form
- NEW - Buy Accessible - Vendor Accessibility Resource Center Table
- NEW - List of VPATs by Vendor
- NEW - Section 508 Standards Guide
This site is under construction. Please check back for further information.