Assistant Professor of Liberal Studies/Teacher Education
Areas of Expertise
- Matters relating to race, discrimination and social justice in K-12 education
- Intersections between LGBT, racial, & ethnic identity
- Educational technology as a platform for equity & social justice
- Culturally relevant/sustainable pedagogy
- Ed.D., University of Southern California
- M.A., K-12 Teaching, National University
- B.A., Social Science, University of California, Irvine
- California Multiple Subject Teaching Credential with a concentation in Cross-Cultural Language Development
- Outstanding Professor - Elizabeth Anne B. Papageorge Award for Faculty Development; California State University, Stanislaus, 2016
- Harven, A., & Soodjinda, D. (2016). Pedagogical Strategies for Challenging Students’ World Views. In R. Papa (Ed.), Social Justice Instruction: Empowerment on the Chalkboard. New York, NY: Springer Publications.
- Ocampo, A. & Soodjinda, D. (equal co-authorship, authors are listed in alphabetical order) (2015). Invisible Asian Americans: The Intersection of Sexuality, Race and Education among Gay Asian Americans. Race, Ethnicity and Education.
- Soodjinda, D., Parker, J., Ross, D., & Meyer, E. (2015). CSU Digital Ambassadors: An Empowering and Impactful Learning Community. Journal of Digital Learning in Teacher Education. 31(1), 35-42
- Soodjinda, D. (2014). Asian American Education. In M. Danico (Ed.), Asian American Society. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Soodjinda, D. & Ocampo, A. (2014). LGBT Asian American Identity. In M. Danico (Ed.), Asian American Society. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Meyer, E., Parker, J. Ross, D., & Soodjinda, D. (2013). Supporting Technology Integration in STEM Teacher Preparation: Case Studies from across California State University Campuses. Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching (MERLOT) Collection.
Selected Research or Grant Activities
- Project Director (current): California State University Digital Ambassadors Program
- Faculty Director (current). Supporting Online Quality Learning and Teaching. Project funded by the California State University Chancellor’s Office. $20,000.
- Southeast Asian (Hmong American) Program Facilitator (current). Bilingual Teacher Education Project (BTEP). Project funded through a grant from the United States Department of Education and instituted by California State University Northridge. $2,000,000
- In Progress: Principal Investigator. Intersecting Identities: The Gay Asian American and Latino Experience. Project funded by the California State University: Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activities Grant. $4850.
- In Progress: Co-Principal Investigator. Gay and Asian: Race, Sexuality and Intragroup Relations of Asian American Gay Men and Women. Project funded by the by the California State University Stanislaus: Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activities Grant, $5,000.
- Casimir, M., Soodjinda, D. & Rodriguez-Vallz, F. (2016). 21st Century Teachers: Building on Bilingual Students' Knowledge of Languages. Presented at the California Association for Bilingual Educators (CABE) Annual Conference, San Francisco, CA.
- Harven, A. & Soodjinda, D. (2015). Pedagogical Strategies for Challenging Students’ World Views. Presented at the Hawaii International Conference on Social Sciences, Honolulu, HI.
- Soodjinda, D. (2015). Maintaining Quality and Rigor within Digital Learning Environments. Invited Speaker – The Loyola Marymount University Center for Teaching Excellence: Achieving a Rigorous Education that Satisfies Teacher and Learner Series.
- Soodjinda, D. & Kim, S. (2015). Intersecting Expectations: Conflicts Between Ethnicity and Sexuality among Cambodian American Gay Men. Presented at the Association for Asian American Studies Annual Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Soodjinda, D. & Grace, C. (2015). Invisible English Learners: Redefining Support Structures for Emergent Bilingual Asian American Students. Presented at the Asian Pacific Americans in Higher Education Annual Conference, San Francisco, CA
- Soodjinda, D. (2014). What do schools of education need to do to prepare incoming teachers for a networked learning environment? Invited Speaker - The 2014 Educational Technology Summit: Empowering Educators to Enhance Student Learning in the Digital Era. Sponsored by the Annenberg Retreat, the Lead Commission, and Common Sense Media. A link to the panel session can be found by navigating HERE.
- Soodjinda, D & Ocampo, A (2014). Invisible Minorities: Sexuality, Masculinity, and the Education of Second-Generation Latino and Asian American Gay Men. Presented at the American Education Research Association (AERA) Annual Conference, Philadelphia, PA.
- Soodjinda, D. (2014). Author Meets Critic – Academic Profiling: Latinos, Asians, and the Achievement Gap. Panel presentation at the Pacific Sociological Association (PSA) Annual Conference in Portland, OR.
- Soodjinda, D. (2014). What is the future of Higher Education: MOOCs, Mandates, and Mayhem. Invited Speaker - Panel presentation at the National Conference on Race & Ethnicity in American Higher Education (NCORE). Annual Conference in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Ocampo, D. & Soodjinda, D. (2014). Racialized Homophobia: How Filipino/Asian and Latino Gay Men “Do” Masculinity. Presented at the Association of Asian American Studies (AAAS) Annual Conference, San Francisco, CA.
- Ocampo, D. & Soodjinda, D. Soodjinda, D (2014). “That’s Where All the FOBs Go”: Negotiating Masculinity and Assimilation in the Gay Asian American Scene. Presented at the Pacific Sociological Association (PSA) Annual Conference in Portland, OR.
- Ocampo, A. & Soodjinda, D. (2014). Asian and Gay: The complex identities of gay Asian American students. Presented at Stanford University.
- Soodjinda, D. (2013). Beyond Tolerance: Supporting LGBT Students of Color in the Classroom. Presented at the Annual Multicultural Education Conference at Sac State; Sacramento, CA.
- Ocampo, A. & Soodjinda, D. (2013). Queered Curriculum: Incorporating LGBTQ Concerns in Classroom Pedagogy. Presented at the Association of Asian American Studies Annual Conference; Seattle, WA
- Soodjinda, D. (2012). Southeast Asian Culture and the K-12 Classroom: Not the Model Minority. Presented at the California State University Northridge Summer Institute for Preparing Asian American Bilingual Teachers.
- Soodjinda, D. (2012). Assessing the University of the District of Columbia’s Online Writing Program using the Quality Matters Assessment System. Presented at the Third Annual Quality Matters Conference, Baltimore, CA.