Good internal communications are everyone’s responsibility. An internal communications platform has now been established at Stanislaus State. These internal communications guidelines take ito consider feedback and questions received from faculty and staff.
This page provides guidelines to effectively utilize StanEvents & Announcements and Warrior Weekly to share your individual, department or college events and announcements.
What are the objectives of StanEvents & Announcements and Warrior Weekly (our internal communications newsletters)?
- Improve communication across the University by enhancing and creating a clear, consistent effective internal communications channel that is also accessible.
- Build community pride and participation across campus through promoted events.
- Drive forward change. Well-informed faculty/staff/students know where they are, where they are going and how they are expected to get there.
- Influence the knowledge, attitudes and behaviors of faculty, staff and students by putting Stan State's strategic plan at the heart of all communications.
The launch of StanEvents & Announcements, and the student companion, Warrior Weekly, provides a platform to streamline and align all communications. The customizable digital platform allows users to stay informed with event and announcement details easily from their desktop and mobile devices.
Information to be published in both newsletters can be submitted online.
StanEvents & Announcements
Sent every Wednesday, Friday and Monday summarizing the latest University events and announcements.
PURPOSE: Sent to all faculty and staff, this e-newsletter shares information about University events and announcements.
RESPONSIBILITY: Communications and Public Affairs (CPA)
FREQUENCY: Wedndsday, Friday and Monday
Items to be shared in StanEvents & Announcements
- Campuswide announcements, workshops, receptions, events
- Non-time sensitive information related to HR, programs, trainings, open houses, etc.
- Information can be segmented for all faculty and staff, faculty only or staff only.
Sent to students every Wednesday, Friday and Monday, highlights University events, upcoming deadlines, workshops, programs, etc.
PURPOSE: Sent to all students, this e-newsletter shares key University information submitted by faculty/staff.
RESPONSIBILITY: Communications and Public Affairs
Items to be shared in Warrior Weekly
- Campuswide announcements, workshops, programs, events
- Advising, enrollment and registration dates
- Student leadership opportunities, internship, scholarship and study abroad information and/or workshops
- Non-time sensitive information related to dining hours and facilities, programs
- Information can be segmented by audiences can be sent to: All undergrad, All Post-baccalaureate, Freshmen, Sophomore, Junior, Senior, Credential, Graduate, Stockton
Items NOT to be shared in StanEvents & Announcements or Warrior Weekly
- University news, accolades and faculty/staff/student stories; these are featured in StanNews
- Marketing emails targeting faculty/staff/students from external vendors
- Non-university affiliated events
- Specific, local information to be distributed within a department or division only
As part of the guidelines for improving internal communications at Stan State, we encourage all departments to send communications through StanEvents & Announcements and/or Warrior Weekly.
Currently, several departments across campus have the ability to send emails to all faculty and staff. Occasional all-user communications from specific departments, such as OIT, Capital Planning & Facilities Management and the Office of the President are necessary to the wider University community. Such email communication should be regulated and limited to:
- Change communications (restructures, relocations, redundancies, Chancellor or President announcements)
- Crisis communications (reputation damage, issues arising from change, emergency announcements)
- Time-sensitive communications that affect critical operations of the University (urgent messages such as those regarding a power outage, network/phone outage, UPD incident, HR deadlines or those requiring an immediate response/attention from a particular audience)
It is important to set limits on this, to ensure we are aligning communications as requested by faculty, staff and students in surveys. Messages that meet the criteria above should be approved by the Vice President (or their designee) of the respective area. When sending these emails, please check with Communications and Public Affairs to ensure the message won’t compete/clash with other emails. This process will ensure your message is as successful as possible.
We recognize that many departments have their own newsletters. We request that the person coordinating these newsletters attend the monthly Campus Communicators Roundtable and connect with Communications and Public Affairs so that messages are coordinated and consistent with those being shared and sent Universitywide by CPA.
Communications and Public Affairs will work with all departments/units to attempt to find the most suitable medium and method for any communication.
Sent every Monday summarizing the latest University news, highlighting internal and external coverage.
PURPOSE: Sent to all faculty and staff, this is an e-newsletter of key University news, accolades and faculty, staff and student achievements. Faculty/staff can propose news ideas via the submission form.
RESPONSIBILITY: Communications and Public Affairs
Ideas to be shared in StanNews
- Campuswide stories featuring a new campus program/grants awards
- Faculty, staff and student achievements
Propose news ideas through the story ideas/notes submission form.
Communications and Public Affairs is continually working to improve the University’s communications channels. If you have any suggestions for improvements, please contact Rosalee Rush, senior associate vice president for marketing, communications and media relations by emailing email@example.com.