Native: Hybrid of P. occidentalis (native to Eastern U.S.) and P.orientalis (native to eastern Mediterranean, Middle East, and Serbia)
- Shape: Sculptural
- Foliage: Big, rough leaves that resemble maple leaves
- Height: 40-80 ft.
- Width: 30-40 ft
- Fruit: Round seed clusters
- Bark: rough old bark sheds in patches, revealing smooth young bark.
- Litter Issue: Dry Fruit/Seeds
Tree Site Conditions & Constraints
- Zones: Sunset 2-24
- Exposure: Full Sun
Pests & Disease Information
- Resistant to Anthracnose (unlike most other sycamores)
Health, Safety & Environmental Concern
- Root Damage Potential: Moderate
- Health Hazard: Allergy and Asthma (sheds fine hairs that can irritate lungs)
- Attracts: Butterflies
EUFORGEN. (n.d.). Platanus orientalis Oriental plane. Retrieved from http://www.euforgen.org/species/platanus-orientalis/
The Editors of Sunset. (2012) The New Sunset Western Garden Book New York, New York: Sunset Books Inc.