Dr. Kimy Liu has both general education and special education teaching credentials; earned her Ph.D. from the University of Oregon in 2009 and holds a position as Associate Professor in the Department of Teacher Education at California State University, Stanislaus. Dr. Liu was a research member of Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills (DIBELS) and easyCBM, two of the most popular reading assessments for millions of general education and special education students in the US. Her research interests include Response to Intervention (RTI), reading and math instruction for struggling learners, and pre-service teacher training with the focus of fieldwork, student teaching, and supervision.
Dr. Liu is a frequent presenter and reviewer at the American Education Research Association (AERA). She has presented in other national, international and state conferences including Annual Conferences of Council of Exceptional Children (CEC), International Conference on Learning Disabilities, California Association of Bilingual Education, California Association of Giftedness, California Council of Exceptional Children.
Dr. Liu enjoys writing poetry and romantic short stories in Mandarin. She has two kids, whom she nicknamed "Thing 1" and "Thing 2".
- Liu, K. and Bukko, D. (2022). Empower Preservice Teachers Teaching Diverse Students Critical Literacy Skills. In R. Williams, A. Griffen, D. Y. Ford, R. Brandehoff, D. Griffen, J. T. Taylor, & W. Hanley (Eds.) Challenging deficit thinking for exceptional education improvement. IGI Books.
- Liu, K. and McFarland, J. (2021). Examining the efficacy of fishbowl simulation in preparing to teach English learners in secondary schools. Frontiers in Teacher Education. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/feduc.2021.700051/full
- Bukko, D. and Liu, K. (2021) Developing Preservice Teachers’ Equity Consciousness and Equity Literacy. Frontier in Teacher Education. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/feduc.2021.586708/full
- McFarland, J. & Liu, K. (2021). Investigating the efficacy of fishbowl simulations in supporting diverse learners. Hawaii International Conference on Education. Conference proceeding, pp. 3-17. http://hiceducation.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/EDU2021.pdf
- Bukko, D., Liu, K., & Johnson, A. H. (2021). Principal practices that build and sustain trust: Recommendations from teachers in a high-trust school. Planning & Changing, 50(1/2). https://education.illinoisstate.edu/downloads/planning/Bukko_50.1-2.pdf
- Riddle, D. R., & Liu, K. (2020). Leveraging Preservice Teacher Recruitment through an Examination of Admission. The CCTC SPAN 2020 Research Monograph. Sacramento, CA: California Council on Teacher Education.100-108.
- Liu, K. (2019). 100 questions (and answers) about action research, Educational Action Research, 27:5, 816-817, DOI: 10.1080/09650792.2019.1647257
- Won, N., Liu, K., Bukko, D. (2019). Developing instructional skills: Perspectives of feedback in student teaching. Networks: An Online Journal for Teacher Education. https://newprairiepress.org/networks/vol21/iss2/
- Liu, K. & Werblow, J. (2017). Development of an Assessment Rubric for the Implementation of Response to Intervention (RTI) at Elementary Schools. Journal for Elementary Education. http://pu.edu.pk/images/journal/JEE/PDF/8_v26_2_16.pdf