Dr. Tavernier has over 35 years’ experience as a registered nurse and educator. She began her nursing career as a Pediatric Nurse in 1983. Seven years later, she became a Neonatal Intensive Care Nurse and Labor and Delivery nurse until 1997 when she worked as the Triage Supervisor for a large Sacramento area Hospital overseeing a 550 bed hospital. In 1998, she became a credentialed School Nurse. In 2001 she began her career in academia, educating students for the registered nursing workforce. With her Doctoral Degree in Educational Leadership, she became the Director of the School of Nursing at Stanislaus State in 2011. At the time, there were only three programs in the School of Nursing, and she oversaw the development and implementation of four additional programs during her seven years as Director.
Debbie is a proud student of the California State Education system, starting with her Associates Degree at Ohlone Community College in 1983, her Master’s degree from California State University, Sacramento in 2003, and her Doctoral degree from CSU Stanislaus in 2011. She is grateful for the affordable and quality educational opportunities the state system afforded her.
Debbie served as an Executive Committee Member of the California Association of Collegiate Nursing (CACN), and collaborated on a white paper for the organization regarding increasing simulated experiences for nursing students. She is very proud of the fact that Stanislaus State graduates are adding diversity to the workforce with over 55% of the students’ enrolled coming from diverse backgrounds. Her dissertation titled “Critical Thinking Development: Using Student Narrative to Understand Women’s Evolving Role in the Birth Experience, supports her interest in teaching nursing students how to critically think.
Debbie was born in Traverse City Michigan and grew up in the Central Valley in Ceres California. With stints in Fremont, California; Reno, Nevada; Sacramento, California; and back to the Central Valley in California. She enjoyed her role as the Nursing Director at Stanislaus State for 9 years and looks forward to her retirement and teaching part time for the School of Nursing.
2011 Ed.D. Educational Leadership, California State University Stanislaus, Turlock, CA
- Dissertation: Critical Thinking: Using Student Narrative to Understand Women’s Evolving Role in the Birth Experience.
2003 Masters Degree in the Science of Nursing, and Post-Secondary Education, California State University, Sacramento, CA
- Thesis/Project: Development of a Self-Directed Nursing Skills Laboratory
2002 School Nursing Services Credential, California State University, Sacramento, CA
1996 Bachelors Degree in the Science of Nursing, University of Phoenix, Sacramento, CA
1983 Associates Degree in the Science of Nursing, Ohlone Community College, Fremont, CA
2011 – Current
Director - School of Nursing, California State University, Stanislaus
Tenured Associate Professor of Nursing
- Oversee five programs within the School of Nursing
- Oversaw development of new facility and move to new building
- Successful creation of Board of Registered Nursing Accreditation Report – no deficiencies noted
- Implemented Accelerated Bachelors Degree on Stockton Campus
- Oversaw development and implementation of Accelerated Health Sciences Degree program
- Certified Background Corporation, Faculty Advisory Council Board member – 2 year term January 2013 – December 2014
- Master’s students Thesis Chair X5 and committee member X2
- EdD student Dissertation Chair
- School of Nursing Graduate Committee member
- School of Nursing Research Committee member
- University Holistic Academic Review Co-Chair and Committee member
- University search committee for Dean of the College of Human and Health Sciences
- University search committee for Dean of the University Extended Education department
- Successful CCNE Continuous Improvement Progress Report
- Successful 120 unit decrease to pre-licensure curriculum
- Facilitated successful total curriculum revision (PL & RN-BSN)
- Student Nurse Extern Coordinator
- University Extended Education Ad Hoc Workgroup member
- Undergraduate Assessment Facilitator 2011-2012
- CSU Stanislaus Student Research Competition Judge 2011
- CSU Stanislaus Thesis/Dissertation Workgroup 2011
- Awarded second place in Doctoral Student Research Competition
- Nominated for Outstanding Professor in 2011 and 2012
2002 – 2011
Assistant Professor, School of Nursing
California State University, Stanislaus
- Assistant Director pre-licensure program
- Song-Brown Grant Awards - Cumulative 5 Year Total: 1.2 Million
- Song-Brown Grant award 2015 - $192,000 – 2nd in state
- Song-Brown Grant application 2014 unfunded
- Song-Brown Grant award 2013 - $240,000 – 1st in state
- Song-Brown Grant award 2012 - $240,000 – 1st in state
- Song-Brown Grant award 2011 - $240,000 – 1st in state
- Song-Brown Grant award 2010 - $240,000 – 2nd in state
- Song-Brown Grant award 2009 - $240,000 – 6th in state
- University Infectious Disease Response Team 2015
- Faculty Budget Advisory Committee member 2008-2012
- Assessment Leadership Team SON
- Program Assessment Director SON 2006 - current
- College of Human and Health Sciences Curriculum Committee
- Designed and implemented Self-Directed Nursing Skills Laboratory based on Masters Project.
- Designed and implemented Clinical Care Plans for Medical-Surgical, Maternal-Child, and Mental Health Nursing.
- Designed and implemented Clinical Evaluation Tool used in every clinical specialty.
- Designed and implemented Medication and Physical Assessment evaluation tools used in every clinical rotation.
- Implemented Pediatric clinical immersion program with Children’s Center of Central California.
- Designed and Implemented Student Nurse Extern Program – 6 units trimester
- Curriculum committee participant – Standard III Chair – Curriculum and Teaching Learning Practices 2002-2011
- Nursing Department Academic Senator – 4 years
- Nursing Department Library Liaison – 3 years
- Nursing Department Scholarship Committee Chair – 3 years
- Taught 12 units every semester:
- NURS 2820 Nursing Skills Laboratory
- NURS 3820 Reproductive Health
- NURS 3800 Pediatric Nursing
- NURS 3850 Maternal-Child Clinical
- NURS 4510 Nursing Communication
- NURS 4820 Senior Seminar
- NURS 4830 Senior Practicum
- NURS 2910 Medical Surgical Clinical
- NURS 3830 Reproductive Health Clinical
- NURS 3810 Pediatric Clinical
- NURS 4010 Issues facing the Profession
- NURS 3320 Leadership & Management, Writing Proficiency Course
- NURS 3850 Maternal Child Clinical
- NURS 5230 Practicum Nursing Education
- NURS 5210 Curricula, Design, and Evaluation
2001 – 2002
Nursing Faculty, Department of Nursing
Modesto Junior College
- Taught 12 units
- Medical Surgical Theory
- Medical Surgical Clinical
- Skills Laboratory
- Tutoring for failing students
- Curriculum committee member
2000 – 2001
Modesto City Schools
- 3 school sites: 2 Elementary, 1 Junior High = approx 8,000 students
- Member of the IEP Committee
- Conducted hearing & vision screening on all K, 2nd, 5th, & 8th grade students.
- Conducted scoliosis screening on all 8th grade students
- Managed on-site Immunization clinics
- Managed on-site State Mandated Physical Assessment clinics
1998 – 2000
Elk Grove Unified School District
- 4 school sites: 3 Elementary, 1 Junior High = approx 10,000 students
- Member of the IEP committee
- Conducted hearing & vision screening on all K, 2nd, 5th & 8th grade students.
- Conducted scoliosis screening on all 8th grade students.
- Conducted on-site TB screening
- Managed on-site Immunization clinics
- Designed and implemented district-wide Insulin pump management for insulin dependent junior high students.
1997 – 1998
Mercy General Hospital, Mercy Healthcare
- Supervision of 500 bed hospital
- Triage cardiac patients from pre-op to discharge
- Designed and implemented patient tracking system
- Managed staffing for oncoming shift for entire hospital
1995 – 1997
PHAMIS Computerized Charting Team, Maternal/Child Nursing
- Designed and developed nursing computer charting screens for Mercy Healthcare of Central California.
- Labor & Delivery, Obstetrics, Newborn Nursery, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, and Pediatrics.
1983 – 2000
Methodist Hospital, Mercy Healthcare
- Neonatal Advance Life Support Nurse and Educator
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Nurse
- Labor & Delivery Nurse
- Post-Partum Nurse
- Newborn Nursery Nurse
- Pediatric Nurse
- Medical – Surgical Nurse
- Charge Nurse
- Labor & Delivery (L&D) scrub and circulation nurse
- Developed curriculum and trained all L&D nurses to scrub and circulate in Labor & Delivery Operating Room
- Nurse Preceptor for BSN nursing students CSU, Sacramento
- Nurse of the Year award
- Developed and designed Skills Round-Up Days for department yearly certification.
- 2014 Sigma Theta Tau, Rho Tau Chapter – President Elect
- 2011 – present American Association of Collegiate Nursing (AACN)
- 2011 – present California Association of Collegiate Nursing (CACN)
- 2011 – present Association of California Nurse Leaders (ACNL)
- 2013 – 2014 California Association of Collegiate Nursing (CACN), Nominating Committee Chair
- 2008 – present Modesto Junior College Nursing Advisory Board Member
- 2011 – present Merced Community College Nursing Advisory Board Member
- 2004 – Present Sigma Theta Tau, Rho Tau Chapter
- 1997 – Present CSNO, California School Nurses Organization, Central California
- 1988 – Present AWHONN, Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses
- 2015 Master’s Thesis Chair: Jessica Fisher “CAUTI Prevention: A Nurse Driven Protocol” May 2015.
- 2013 Accreditation Report: “Self-Study” California Board of Registered Nursing, January 2014.
- 2013 Master’s Thesis Chair: Marilyn Scheid “Issues in Neonatal Transport”.
- 2012 Accreditation Report: “Continuous Improvement Progress Report” Commission of Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) June 2012.
- 2011 Dissertation: “Critical Thinking Development: Using Student Narrative to Understand Women’s Evolving Role in the Birth Experience” June 2011.
- 2011 Master’s Thesis Chair: Anita Chowdhary “Competency Based Orientation for the PACU Nurse”.
- 2011 Master’s Thesis Chair: Laura Defreitas “Human Patient Simulation: An Active, Experiential Learning Pedagogy with Student Input”
- 2011 Master’s Thesis Committee Member: Esther Riggs “Elective Labor Inductions: Risks and Benefits, Rationales, Current Trends, and Standards of Practice”.
- 2011 Master’s Thesis Committee Member: Wendy Blum “Reference Manual for Part-Time Clinical Nursing Instructors”.
- 2009 Peer Reviewed Publication: “The Genogram: Enhancing Student Appreciation of Family Genetics” The Journal of Nursing Education, published April, 2009, vol.48, pps. 222-225, (4).2009 Reviewer: for Leek “Patho Phalsh! Pathophysiology Flash Cards” (2010). F. A. Davis.
- 2008 Peer Reviewed Publication: “Integrating Simulation Across theCurriculum”, Nurse Educator, published September/October 2008, vol.33, pps. 210-214, (5).
- 2008 Reviewer: for Nagtalon-Ramos, “Clinical Coach for Maternity Nursing” (2008). F. A. Davis Company.
- 2008 Reviewer: for Littleton & Engrebetson “Maternal, Neonatal, and Women’s Health Nursing” (2008). Delmar-Cengage Learning.
- 2015 Podium Presentation: “Critical Thinking: Using Student Narrative to Understand Women’s Evolving Role in the Birth Experience”, STTI – Rho Tau Chapter, Turlock CA
- 2008 Poster Presentation for 12th International Nursing Learning Resource Centers Conference, San Jose, CA. “Skill Competency: An Imperative for Clinical Faculty”.
- 2007 Poster Presentation, Self-Directed Nursing Resource Center, 7th National Conference on Nursing Skills Laboratories, San Antonio, Texas.
- 2007 Poster Presentation, Integrating Simulation Throughout the Curriculum, AACN’s 2007 Hot Issues Conference, Denver, CO.
- 2004 Poster Presentation, Self-Directed Nursing Skills Lab, Mosby’s Faculty Development Conference, San Diego CA
- 2015 – Current University Infectious Disease Response Team
- 2014 – Current Instructionally Related Activities (IRA) Committee Member
- 2012 - Current Executive Committee Member for the College of Science
- 2012 - Current University Holistic Academic Review Committee Co-Chair and member
- 2012 – Current Executive Committee Member – College of Science
- 2011 - 2012 University Extended Education AdHoc Workgroup member
- 2011 Research and Sponsored Programs, Judge for student research competition.
- 2011 University AdHoc Thesis/Dissertation Reading Process Workgroup Committee
- 2011 Executive Committee Member for College of Health and Human Sciences
- 2011 Search Committee Member – Dean of Human and Health Sciences
- 2010 - 2013 Assessment Leadership Team – College of Human and Health Sciences Representative.
- 2009 - Spring Leaves and Awards Committee, substitute member
- 2008 - 2012 Faculty Budget Advisory Committee (FBAC)
- 2007 – 2012 Program Assessment Coordinator – School of Nursing Representative
- 2006 - 2007 Curriculum Committee, Department Representative - College of Health and Human Sciences.
- 2006 CSU, Stanislaus, Doctorate Educational Leadership feasibility focus group.
- 2006 Global Learning, Study Abroad - feasibility study Dublin, Ireland.
- 2006 & 2007 Portfolio review for CSU Stanislaus Child Health & Development Department graduating seniors.
- 2002 – 2006 Academic Senator, Nursing Department Representative.
- 2005 – current Preview Day, CSU Stanislaus.
- 2005 eLearning Strategic Planning member – College of Arts, Letters & Sciences
- 2005 Spring Retreat - Strategic Planning Committee, College of Arts, Letters, & Sciences.
- 2003 – 2006 Nursing Department, University Library Liaison.
- Grants Funds Secured Total: $1,310.000.00
- 2014 Song Brown Healthcare Workforce Training Act – Not funded
- 2013 Song Brown Healthcare Workforce Training Act – Ranked 1st in the state among 14 other BSN & MSN competitors. Awarded $240,000.
- 2013 HRSA Application – Scholarship for Disadvantaged Students, unfunded.
- 2012 Song Brown Healthcare Workforce Training Act – Ranked 1st in the state
- among 17 other BSN & MSN competitors. Awarded $240,000.00.
- 2012 HRSA Application – Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students, unfunded.
- 2011 Kaiser Healthcare Foundation – awarded $90,000.00 to purchase new
- simulation equipment and curriculum development for the School of Nursing.
- 2011 Song Brown Healthcare Workforce Training Act – Ranked 1st in the State awarded $240,000.00. Due to decreased funding all applicants were ranked using a single statewide pool.
- 2010 Song Brown Healthcare Workforce Training Act - Ranked 2nd in the region. Awarded $240,000.00 (The increased number of applications necessitated that the state be divided into regions for awards).
- 2009 Song Brown Healthcare Workforce Training Act – Ranked 6th in the state.
- Awarded $240,000.00.
- 2004 College of Arts Letters and Sciences Equipment Grant – Awarded requested amount: $20,000.00 to purchase an infant high-fidelity simulator.
- 2014 Career Day – Health Academy
- 2011 Career Day Presenter, Hughson High School.
- 2010 Career Day Presenter, Hughson High School.
- 2008 – current Comprehensive Perinatal Services Committee member, Stanislaus County.
- 2008 – present Modesto Junior College Advisory Board Member
- 2006 Consultant for Stockton Unified School District at Roosevelt Elementary School: Alternatives for health education and basic screening focus group.
- 2006 Senior High School Portfolio Reviewer for Hughson Unified High School.
- 2006 Career Day Presenter, Hughson and Ceres High Schools.
- 2005 Career Day Presenter, Hughson and Ceres High Schools.
- 2004 Career Day Presenter, Hughson and Ceres High Schools.
- 1997 – 2002 American Red Cross, Certified Community CPR Instructor.
- 2014 Health Professions Advocacy Day, California State Capitol
- 2014 Wrote and submitted Board of Registered Nursing Five-Year Accreditation Report
- 2012 University Extended Education Assistant-Dean Search Committee member
- 2012 Wrote and submitted successful CCNE Mid-Accreditation Continuous Improvement, Progress and Report
- 2011 College of Human and Health Sciences Dean Search Committee member
- 2011 - 2013 Community College Collaboration on AB 1295 Seamless Transition
- 2011 - 2013 University Extended Education Workgroup member
- 2011 School for Nursing Director Search Committee member
- 2010 - 2011 Medical-Surgical Search Committee Chair
- 2009 Simulation Coordinator, Search Committee member
- 2008 – 2012 Retention, Promotion, and Tenure Committee member and Chair
- 2007 Department Chair, Search Committee Chair.
- 2007 Reproductive Health Faculty Search Committee Chair.
- 2006 – 2009 Department of Nursing, Student Scholarship Committee Chair
- 2006 Board of Registered Nursing Accreditation preparation team member.
- 2006 Department Chair Search Committee Chair.
- 2006 Pediatric Faculty Search Committee Chair.
- 2005 - 2012 Nursing Pinning Ceremony, Honored Faculty Guest Speaker.
- 2005 Reproductive Health Faculty, Search Committee Chair.
- 2005 Community Health Faculty, Search Committee member.
- 2003 – 2012 Curriculum Committee, Standard III, Chair – Curriculum and Teaching, Learning Practices.
- 2002 Developed the Curriculum and implemented Self-Directed Nursing Skills Laboratory CSU, Stanislaus.
- 2015 Symposium “Nursing Leadership: From the Bedside to the Boardroom”,
- ACNL North Central, Stockton, CA
- 2015 Meeting “The Future of Nursing – Nationwide, Statewide, and Locally”, NLC Central San Joaquin Valley, Fresno, CA
- 2014 California Association of Colleges of Nursing (CACN/COADN) Annual Meeting “Answering the Call to Lead”, Newport Beach, CA
- 2014 Association of Clinical Nurse Leaders (ACNL) “The Face of Nursing Symposium”, Stockton, CA
- 2014 ACNL “The Next Wave of Nurse Leadership”, Monterey, CA
- 2014 Western Institute of Nursing (WIN) “Taking it Global: Research, Practice, and Education in Nursing”, Seattle, WA
- 2013 WIN “Creating a Shared Future of Nursing: Research, Practice and Education”, Anaheim, CA
- 2013 CACN “Pay it Forward: Connecting the Past with the Future”, Sacramento, CA
- 2013 American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) “Reality Based Rules of the Workplace - Know what Boosts Your Value, Kills Your Chances, and Will Make You Happier at Work” Vail, CO
- 2013 COADN/CACN “Making it ‘Fall’ Into Place”, Palm Springs, CA
- 2012 AACN Baccalaureate Education Conference, San Antonio, TX
- 2012 AACN Executive Development Series, San Antonio, TX
- 2012 CACN “New Visions for Baccalaureate Education in Nursing”, Sacramento, CA
- 2012 AACN “Developing Effective Faculty Relations”, Washington, D.C.
- 2012 Association of California Nurse Leaders, Long Beach, CA
- 2012 “Concept Based Curriculum in Nursing”, Sacramento, CA
- 2012 COADN/CACN “Change is in the Air”, Palm Springs, CA
- 2011 CSU Nursing Faculty AB 1295 Meeting, Long Beach, CA
- 2011 CACN Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA
- 2011 AACN Directors Semi-Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C.
- 2010 AACN Baccalaureate Education Conference, Orlando, FL
- 2010 AACN Executive Development Series, Orlando, FL
- 2010 Quality & Safety: Necessities for Nurses, Modesto, CA
- 2009 AACN Executive Development Series, Chicago, IL
- 2009 AACN Baccalaureate Education Conference, Chicago, IL
- 2008 Clinical Evaluation Conference, Modesto, CA
- 2007 7th National Conference on Nursing Skills Laboratories, San Antonio, TX
- 2007 AACN “Hot Issues” Conference, Denver, CO
- 2006 Instructional Institute Day, C.S.U., Stanislaus, Turlock, CA
- 2005 Magic in Teaching, Board of Registered Nurses, San Francisco, CA
- 2005 Sim-Baby Users In-Service at Laerdal, Gatesville, TX
- 2005 Obstetric Nursing Conference, Seattle, WA
- 2004 Concept Mapping Development, Modesto Junior College, Modesto, CA
- 2004 Mosby’s Faculty Development Conference, San Diego, CA
- Maternal and Women’s Health
- Neonatal Intensive Care
- School Nursing
- Basic Medical Surgical Nursing
- Self-Directed Learning
- Critical Thinking
- Nursing Theory
- Clinical Evaluation