Native: South Coastal Texas and Mexico.
A Taxodium mucronatum in Kuruvungna Springs is registered as a California Big Tree. It measures 73 feet high, with a trunk circumference of 239 inches and a crown spread of 78 feet.
- Shape: Conical
- Foliage: Evergreen to Partly Deciduous, Linear, Medium to Light Green, No Change
- Height: 60 - 80 feet.
- Width: 20 - 40 feet.
- Flowers: Inconspicuous. Flowers in Summer or Fall.
- Fruit: Brown Cone, Medium (0.50 - 1.50 inches), fruiting in Summer or Fall.
- Bark: Red Brown, Fissured.
- Shading Capacity: Moderately Low in Leaf, Moderate out of Leaf.
- Litter Issue: Dry Fruit.
Tree Site Conditions & Constraints
- Zones: Sunset 5 - 9 and 12 – 24, USDA Hardiness 6 - 9.
- Exposure: Full Sun to Partial Shade.
Pests & Disease Information
- Susceptible: Beetle Borers and Beetle Leaves.
Health, Safety & Environmental Concerns
- Branch Strength: Strong.
- Root Damage Potential: Moderate.
- Health Hazard: None Known
SelecTree. "Taxodium mucronatum Tree Record." 1995-2018. Mar 14, 2018.
< https://selectree.calpoly.edu/tree-detail/taxodium-mucronatum >