Native: Eastern Asia.
- Shape: Rounded, Umbrella or Vase
- Foliage: Deciduous, Pinnately Compound Odd with Ovate to Lanceolate Leaflets, Dark Green, Gold
- Height: 40 - 70 feet.
- Width: 40 - 70 feet
- Flowers: Showy. Fragrant White. Flowers in Summer.
- Fruit: Prolific, Brown or Mostly Green Pod, Very Large (Over 3.00 inches), fruiting in Summer or Fall.
- Bark: Dark Brown, Fissured.
- Shading Capacity: Moderately Dense in Leaf, Moderately Dense out of Leaf.
- Litter Issue: Dry Fruit and Twigs.
Tree Site Conditions & Constraints
- Zones: Sunset 2 – 24, USDA Hardiness 5 - 9.
- Exposure: Full Sun to Partial Shade.
Pests & Disease Information
- Resistant: Oak Root Fungus.
- Susceptible: Spider Mites, Canker.
Health, Safety & Environmental Concerns
- Branch Strength: Medium.
- Root Damage Potential: Low.
- Health Hazard: None Known
- Biogenic Emissions: Moderate.
SelecTree. "Sophora japonica Tree Record." 1995-2018. Mar 1, 2018.
< https://selectree.calpoly.edu/tree-detail/sophora-japonica >