Spring 2021: Faculty Consultations run from February 8th - May 19th
In partnership with the Center for Excellence in Graduate Education (CEGE), the Writing Center provides graduate students the opportunity to work one-on-one with faculty on their writing projects. Graduate students can make appointments with faculty writing and citation coaches through StanTutor.
- Faculty writing coaches provide feedback on organization, clarity, the development, and support of ideas, writing style, syntax, and audience.
- (NEW!) Citation coaches provide feedback on in-text citations and reference pages.
- (NEW!) Writing Groups for Graduate Students! Writing groups are a good opportunity to build camaraderie while meeting regularly with other graduate students to collaborate on projects, share ideas and experiences, provide and receive critical feedback, and build skills and confidence. Fill out the interest form and email it to Dr. Monica Flores at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Watch our video tutorial or read below how to schedule an appointment with a faculty coach.
Meet our Writing Coaches
Nancy Au (she/her/they/them) is an artist, educator, storyteller, and misfit. She enjoys posing questions that help writers clarify their complex ideas and intentions for a general audience. She provides writing prompts to help writers find new avenues into their work, assists with restructuring and reorganization of papers, and provides recommendations for distillation to minimize repetition and reduce page count.
Writing support availability:
Tuesdays and Wednesdays: 3:30-5:00 p.m. (from February 9th - May 19th).
Dr. Monica Flores (she/her/hers/ella) teaches in the department of English at Stan State. She has published research, interviews, and reviews in academic journals and edited collections. She especially enjoys working with graduate students on long projects across multiple disciplines and is available to assist students in any of their writing needs. She also works with students on graduate application documents and fellowship, scholarship, and grant applications.
Writing support availability:
Wednesdays: 4:00-6:00 p.m., or by appointment (from February 10th - May 5th).
Meet our Citation Coach
Kevin Augustine (he/him/his) is a Research and Instruction Librarian in the University Library. He holds an MLIS from San José State University and a BA in English from Chico State. He is the librarian liaison for Kinesiology, Advanced Studies in Education, Liberal Studies, Teacher Education, and Social Sciences. He enjoys working directly with our student population and fostering an active learning community that provides the practical support students need. As a faculty citation coach, Kevin assists with citation style support, particularly APA style. He also enjoys working with graduate students in their research skills development and the navigation of resources.
Citation support availability:
Tuesdays: 5:00-7:00 p.m. (from February 23rd - May 18th)
View the Visual Tutorial
- Log into StanTutor either from the login page or from your MyStanState Portal
- From the Main Menu, select “Search Availability.”
- Choose “CEGE” from drop-down menu.
- Indicate the class for which you are requesting writing support from the listed options.
- Since the faculty coaches provide support during specific times, please keep the availability open as you search.
- Select “Search,” and the and appointment availability for the faculty coaches will appear in the calendar results.
- Choose your appointment time, and a pop-up box will appear.
- Press “Save” to book an appointment.”
- In the Main Menu, scroll to the bottom, and the appointment will be listed in the “Upcoming Appointments.” Return here to access the Zoom appointment on the scheduled date and time.
- You will receive a confirmation email directly from the faculty coach with details and instructions on exchanging drafts and on the goals for your consultation.
To cancel appointments, view the Visual Tutorial on canceling appointments on StanTutor.