Foreign Travel Insurance

Please note: this process is in addition to normal university business travel requirements set forth by the Stanislaus State Travel Services.

Basic Instructions

  1. Complete an International Travel Request (which can be found on the Travel Services page under Forms. Click here to be routed directly to the forms page) Route the form for approval signatures to Dept. Chair, Dean, Risk Management, and Provost. * NOTE: if you will travel to a country that is on the State Dept. Travel Warning list or the CSU High Hazard Country list see below for special instructions.
  2. Register for the Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP) online
  3. Once registered, the traveler will be contacted by the Office of Safety & Risk Management with follow up to include:
    1. Confirmation of coverage
    2. Traveler emergency contact information and itinerary (** If non-employee "other" travelers will be going with you, see the note below.)
    3. Information on travel warnings or CSU restrictions (*See High Hazard note below.)
    4. Provision of the Travel Assistance Card to use during their trip
    5. Info about the STEP registration with the State Department

* High Hazard Travel - In addition to the "basic" steps listed above, if you will travel to a country that is on the State Dept. Travel Warning list, the CSU High Hazard Country list or the CSU War risk list, then the following must be completed at least 30-days prior to the departure date:

  • Complete the additional questions required for traveling in a high hazardous country when registering for Foreign Travel Insurance
  • Safety & Risk Management will review the information and correspond with the President's Office for approval of travel.
  • The traveler will be notified of the pending approval by Safety & Risk Management

Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP) It is important that Stanislaus State faculty, staff and student traveling internationally on university business/university sponsored trips* do so in as safe a manner as possible. All employees and students who travel internationally on CSU business are required to use the Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP). University Sponsored Trips are those which the University directs; funds; approves; assigns; requires for academic credit; or requires as part of a program or class. FTIP provides coverage anywhere in the world that is not the United States of America (including territories and possessions) and any country or jurisdiction which the subject of trade of economic sanctions imposed by the law or regulations of the United States of America. Subject to terms, conditions and applicable exclusions FTIP benefits include and are not limited to the following:

  • General Liability
  • Excess Auto Liability
  • Primary Medical Expense & Emergency Medical Benefits
  • Emergency Medical Evacuation
  • Repatriation of Remains
  • Political Evacuations & Repatriation Benefit War Risk Coverage
  • Accidental Death and Dismemberment Benefit

Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) It is recommended all employees and students traveling internationally sign up for the U. S. State Department's Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). This is a system utilized by the State Department to connect with the traveler, providing information should conditions change in the foreign location and assist you in an emergency. The traveler need only enroll once and then can update as trips are planned.Cost of Coverage FTIP premiums for all University-sponsored international travel are paid as an all-University expense.

** The University does not cover the cost of non-employee travelers, instructions will be given on how to pay the cost at the Cashier's office. Non-employee travelers are also required to read and sign a Release of Liability. Please contact Safety & Risk Management for the proper Release document.