Penumbra Book Club
This Fall, Penumbra Online will be hosting a virtual book club to celebrate our upcoming Fall edition. Our series theme will be the second part of our Love Series: “Love for Others”. For our Fall Book Club pick, we chose the novel Honey Girl by Morgan Rogers. The novel celebrates many types of love: romantic love, love for friends, love for family, and self-love. The Seattle Times says of Rogers’s novel Honey Girl is “an absorbing read, and deftly captures the trappings of millennial life, especially for queer Black, Indigenous and people of color characters in American cities. Its expansion on what a love story can feel restorative, especially as we cross the threshold into our second year of a pandemic during which expressing love has become more important than ever. This is the kind of non-YA coming-of-age novel the world could use more of” (SeattleTimes.com). If you are interested in joining our Book Club and reading Honey Girl with us, follow the directions below. The first four Stanislaus State students to fill out the form will get a free copy of the novel sent to them.
The book club will meet on Saturday evenings once a month this fall, with our first meeting being October 2 at 6:00 pm.
- Register using this Google Form
- After you fill out the form, a Zoom link will be sent to your email.
- Start reading Rogers’ Honey Girl (a full read is not needed for our meetings)
- On the date and time of Book Club click the Zoom URL to join.
- We hope to see everyone there!
To keep up to date on the book club, visit us at Clubs and Book Recommendations - PENUMBRA ONLINE or follow us at @csustanpenumbra on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
Penumbra Writing Club
Penumbra will be hosting a zoom-based writing club. The meetings will involve a combination of writing and collaborative workshopping each meeting. Join us as we grow as writers and enjoy the time discussing the writing process. Get feedback from graduate level writers and a chance to share and workshop your writing projects with peers!
Instructions for Signing Up
Interested in signing up? Follow the steps below:
- Take a look at the dates (all times are PT) of our writing club sessions on our website and decide how many/which ones you’d like to attend.
- Visit the Warrior Food Pantry's webpage and donate $5 for each session you are looking to attend. (You may wish to donate all at once if you know you’d like to attend multiple/all, or donate for each session as you decide to attend.)
- Email your donation receipt along with which sessions you are planning to attend to email@example.com.
The Zoom URL for meeting sessions will be sent out by email prior to the meeting time.
Penumbra's Writing Club Calendar
Sunday, September 12. 2-3:30 P.M.
Thursday, September 30. 6-7:30 P.M.
Sunday, October 3. 2-3:30 P.M.
Thursday, October 21. 6-7:30 P.M.
Sunday, October 24. 2-3:30 P.M.
Visit our club's page at Clubs and Book Recommendations - PENUMBRA ONLINE for more information and follow us at @csustanpenumbra on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook.